PARISH COUNCIL BOYCOTTS REMEMBRANCE SERVICE

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vulfblitzer, Nov 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to "the Forester" newspaper in the Forest of Dean (Gloucestershire) Thursday,
    (http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/forest/headlines/Parish-councillors-row-poppy-wreath/article-1482235-detail/article.html) Bromsberrow Parish Council will not be providing or laying the customary wreath on remembrance Sunday, thus breaking both the military compact and a tradition going back over 60 years. Neither will the council be attending the service. In their local newsletter, they claim to be doing it to save public money!!! However, they spent over £6000 on a bus shelter that no one wanted (one bus a week!) but cant aford £16 for a wreath to honour the war dead. Last year they were disgraced because they removed the wreath 5minutes after laying it so that they could reuse it again. Also, according to their minutes on their website (http://www.bromesberrow.co.uk/) which includes their contact details, one of the councillors claimed £85 travel expenses for the 3mile journey she made to the adjoining parish. Who do these people think they are. None of them have ever seen miltary service. You lads know what to say to these people.

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.

2. The Forest of Dean...well I suppose it makes an interesting change from inbreeding, bestiality and shotgunning each other.

3. They have a problem with wild boar (or more likely feral pigs) in the FOD. Are some of them on the local council?

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I certainly do, that's disgraceful.

A decent camouflage compact case is very hard to find.

5. The saving will go towards new Banjo strings for all parishoners

6. Stick to the facts guys: Bromsberrow may be in West Glos, but it's still quite a way from the Forest....

Sad story though.

7. I have not been in the armed forces. But i have and will always completly support what our heros have done in the past and will do in the future. This is bllody disgusting.

8. Chubb? Also, absolutely terrible, should be ashamed of themselves but probably won't.

9. What is, your spelling?

Ahh now people from the Forest...

[​IMG]

10. joined august 26 2008!
    fuck me, were you trapped under a wardrobe
    or are you that dull it took you 14 months to think of something?

11. Ahem..........look at the comments section for the other side of the story.

From one of the members of the council 'accused'

Bromsberrow Parish Council has decided that, in line with other local Parish Councils, it is not appropriate that we should assume responsibility for the purchase and laying of a poppy wreath on behalf of the community, and from public funds. However, Councillors have purchased, and will lay, a poppy wreath, but this will be in our capacity as a group of private individuals and it will not involve the application of public funds.
    Furthermore, there has never been ANY suggestion - either written or verbal - that Councillors intend to "boycott" (the terminology in the Forester's e-mail) the Remembrance Day Service and the Parish Council will, as usual, be represented - although attendance is, obviously, a personal decision for each individual member.

12. FFS!

Not another poppy outrage thread.

13. FFS i'm outraged....Erm what am I outraged about again...? 8O

14. I am utterly outraged that you, SwampMonster, cannot remember what you are meant to be outraged about.

please move to the back of the outrage bus so more outraged members of arrse can board and express their outrage.

15. I'm outraged that you're outraged! Now if you get outraged about me being outraged about you being outraged...