Paris - sites of interest / military history

Discussion in 'Travel' started by björn, Aug 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bonjour tout le monde,

Going to Paris tomorrow for a pal's birthday. As it begins at 5pm, I decided on an early flight in to do some sightseeing. I can't say I know Paris that well, have been there only once previously (mais non, c'est pas possible), but, beyond the traditional sites (Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, Invalides and so forth) , and such local landmarks as the Champs Elysée and the hotel Meurice (German military history), I wonder if any of you could suggest lesser known places of interest in cetral Paris (only have about 8 hours), with a military history connection, e.g. the Zouave on the Alma bridge.

I promise to bring back photos.

Alors mes amis? Merci merci
  2. theres the big war museum called L'Hôtel national des Invalides was there earlier this year, was pretty interesting. it also had napoleon's tomb in it as well. hope this help, cant think for the life of me where the nearest metro station is. hope this helps
  3. sorry , in my haste didnt read all of you post, my apologies!
  4. No problem, thanks anyway - it's scheduled as my first stop ;-) Apparently there are ennemy flags captured by the Frogs and the tomb of a bloke named after a brand of brandy.
  5. indeed there are. The tomb is rather grand, cant remember whos flags they were thugh. The only other thing i can think of is the officer training academy (not open to public though) which is at one end of the eiffle tower, i think there are still bullet holes and what not on it from the franco purssian war, a bit like the GPO on Dublin (could be wrong though, it may just be falling down lol)
  6. An often overlooked site of interest is the Musee de Chaussures de Plage near the Tuileries.

It was gifted to the grateful French people by the wealthy philanthropist, Phillippe Feloppes.
  7. Mais non? Alors?
  8. Saint-Cyr is in Britanny, no idea about any other one. Thanks again.
  9. Right well I have to say I was much impressed by Paris. I only had a few hours so couldn't visit much, but managed to see the Arc de triomphe, the Eiffel tower, the Invalides and Napoleon's tomb, and have a tour on the Seine. Also had a walk around town, all of which were very enjoyable, as the weather was spectacular and the city was empty (the Frogs are all away on hols).

As with all world renowned landmarks, they are best visited early in the morning (I arrived at 10h30 at the Eiffel tower and it was chock a block - but you can jump the queue by buying your ticket on the internet here: The official site of the Eiffel Tower).

The Invalides were very impressive, although most of the flags which used to adorn the St.-Louis Chapel are gone, as the French burnt them each time an invader arrived in town. Most went in 1813 when the cossacks arrived, the rest in 1940 when ze Germans popped in. You can still see the place in the courtyard where they were burnt. The bloke who told me the story said he was a descendant of the Compagnie Ecossaise and spoke as if it all had happened yesterday.
    The collection of medieval armour is also fantastic and not to be missed.
    The website is here Menu

Some of my pics are here Flickr: rfbc's Photostream although my camera was clearly on its last legs and did not survive the evening's entertainment (but it wasn't meant as a rugby ball anyway).
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Any bullet holes from the war of 1870 would be french ones fired by frenchmen at frenchmen. Nothing changes much, communards and uprisings!
  11. A few bullet holes from 1944 as well (possibly also Frenchmen on Frenchmen!). The anniversary of the liberation of Paris is today 25 August IIRC.
  12. Military History of Paris.

Don't Forget the Tour De France

Compiegne Near Paris