Parents struggling with childcare costs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Sep 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. x | Home | Sky News

Here's a ******* thing… can't afford them, don't have them, and don't expect other people to pay for them - seems pretty basic to me.

Not that I'm a bit pissed off being as how my wife has been forced to switch shifts because some whiny mother, 'I got a new baybee innit' is bitching on at work she can't get a babysitter for her brat one day a week and everyone has to move around to suit her.:pissedoff:
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Could your wife's colleagues club together and buy her a adult return and a child single to Portugal?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. What I don't understand is all these single mothers whinging about the cost of childcare,where the **** are the fathers,don't they cough up as well.

Or maybe they don't remember who the father is,eh?

Single mum on BBC Breakfast,she earns £800 per month,working 3 days a week,and then gets £800+ per month child tax credits,the state pension for a single person is about £500 per month,that speaks volumes about "The Welfare State"! :pissedoff:
  4. For a lot of families, a second full-time income makes the difference between making ends meet and not. The days are long gone when the average wage poke could support a family on its own.

Basically, childcare is the alternative to income support.
  5. Think about the cost benefit thing. Do you want people who have kids but are having a tough time with 1k a month crèche fees to stop working and start claiming every other benefit, living on council estates with pitbulls being scumbags??

you don't want kids? fine my kids won't pay your pension.

swings and roundabouts my friend.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. It is the first 5 years that are the hardest, we only have one sprog as that is all we can afford (and for me one is enough). As they get older it becomes easier but still expensive.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

But there is the rub, the pension holidays taken by companies will stuff most pensioners soon enough and the state will have to step in, the problem is that most of parents with sprogs now are used to over 10 years of having everything done to make their life easy where as those of us with kids grown up are expected to pay for it.
    At work its the same, women getting career breaks over a year long to have sprogs at ages where they should know better or be able to afford them. Again the rest of us pick up the slack thanks to Labour and the EU!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

In Germanland we looked at putting little B&T into a Brit nursery which was going to cost about 600 euro a month. Not worth the ex slag working. Little un tried a week and hated it.

Then thought let's why not try a German Kindergarten. You have to book your place through the Stadt and the charges are earnings related. We were charged 65 euro a month for 35 hours a week. (She loved it).

Lazy bitch never did get a job though.
  9. You lucky SoB. 65€ a month is a gift!!

I rigth now pay 25% of my net income on a Kindergarten :-/. People with low income get a discount(of up to 100%), we don't.
    Anyway:- Good thing is THERE IS childcare=> without that you can't work at all => more expensive for the State (dole payments and stuff)
    - Older People usually don't understand this. At their time it was the norm that some relatives where close by so they could drop the child there.
    Todays working env. (spec. for graduates) force you to move.
    - Todays wages+costs of living make it nearly impossible to raise a family on just one pay-check

AND=> No children today, no pensions in the future.
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I was paying that as a Sgt. Move to Gutersloh.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Problem we had
    It took virtually all MrsT_B_S's wages to pay for child care.
    Problem is you need to pay for all week even though you don't need it.
    She and I both worked shifts so we didn't need all week I was the bigger earner so she gave up and looked after little one.
    This carried on until last year when the little one went to school although until December she only went 09:00 - 12:00 so we needed to pick her up.

Problem is it only affects those who want to work.
    The long term unemployed with no intention iof ever doing a days work are getting far more than any mum who wants to back to work.
  12. I'd agree with that, €65 is definitely better that what we're being mugged for €955 for 4 days a week (we're hoping to have a second and the crèche will give us a 10% discount...bless em)

We're currently living in Dublin ( I know I realize my mistake there) but our nearest family is in London.

we did think about an au pair but without her being 18, blond and sweedish I didn't really fancy the idea of allowing a complete stranger in my house with my little fella.

the basic premise though is your damned if you do and damned if you don't in the future as already been said No children today, no pensions in the future.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When we had our sprogs we could only afford to rent a flat on my wages, child care was nursery every morning but it was cheap although our nearest relatives were 100 miles away it would have been of no help as there were less jobs then than now. Nursery was for the childs development not for the mum to earn/keep a second career going!
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its also about living within your means, back then I struggled with rent and bills but eventually got on the housing ladder, nowadays its as if having children isnt supposed to stretch you one little bit. If there is no sacrifice in raising a family which tests the bonds then no wonder families break up so easily nowadays.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Oh that's easy!

Mrs SOI: So why can't your old man look after the brat on Fridays?

Miss Change the world I'm speshul coz I got a baby innit: He needs his 'space' and Friday is his night out.
    • Like Like x 1