Parents cant hold their drink

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ritchie-Hook, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is with slight trepidation that I start my first thread on this forum, but this particular item of "news" staggers me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6596515.stm

It now appears that the learned deliberations of this pressure group have reached the conclusion that the best way to combat the UK's underage binge drinking culture is to prosecute parents who allow their children to drink under their supervision in the home. Therefore the French/Italian model of alchohol being an integral part of social family life is wrong, children should be given less exposure to it as this is bound to mean that they will not see it as glamorous and dangerous and will therefore never try and buy alchohol, getting drunk with their friends in secret, away from parental supervision.....

Do these people have brains work in an entirely different way to normal, rational people?

2. For christs sake, the missus was a publican, and she lets the kids drink to 'experience it'. Not one has turned out a 'bingedrinker', in fact they avoid the stuff unless its in a social context. The Europeans have it bang on (God I hate saying that!)

3. Yes they do my friend, yes they do.

I suspect this is what happens when you have groups of people with no discernible skills sitting around trying to think up ways to justify their existence and their government/charity pay cheque.

Committees and quangos, a pox on them all.

4. It's a perfect example of people looking at the evidence and deciding to discard it because it doesn't fit with what they are trying to prove! The French/German/Italian model does appear to work much better than ours - and I have no idea why.

Having looked at the evidence, I decided long ago, that Litotes jnr would be given diluted wine on special occasions like Sunday lunch.

Litotes

5. I watched one of their spokewomen on BBC News 24 this morning and she did not come across at all well - a fanatic trying to appear calm and measured, was my opinion.

Yet more proof that Care in the Community has failed to address the needs of these people IMO.

6. Finding the parents of these kids will be a challenge in itself and no doubt swallow up more tax payers money.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I live most of the time in mainland Europe and the question of the UK drinking culture is a common topic of conversation. Drunkeness, along with football violence are unfortunately seen as defining charactistics of English people. While I can make an argument that every EU country has its football hooligans, I cannot defend UK images of binge drinkers/throwing up in the street/pi$$ed girls on the pavement/fighting etc that appear in the media. This simply does not happen with such consistent regularity on the continent.
    The difference seems to be pubs - and their cultural positioning. My local country pub is probably the thing I miss most about UK when not there - and where I can be found when I am there!
    In France/Germany/Italy the focus is different, with resturants the cultural focal points/family meeting places. Secondly cafes, and bringing up the rear are "bars" - generally considered as more serious places and less fashionable by the younger generation.
    People get drunk, but it is not considered "cool" to be sat in the street at midnight in a pool of your own vomit....strangely...
    It seems that turning up at the cafe on a 50/125 2 stroke whatever, buying a capuccino and (decreasingly) smoking a cigarette while modelling your latest sunglasses/t-shirt/jeans combination is the in thing.
    When my son (14) is at my house in France he has wine at mealtimes, also when at the neighbours as do their kids. Not watered down and not limited, he of his own volition never takes more than 2 half glasses and normally much less. He enjoys identifying different wines with different meals, good from bad (to his taste) and the whole thing is about being grown up and having responsibility. Last New Years eve he knocked back a couple of glasses of sparkling wine in short order, clearly got a "hit", and was clearly embarrassed (we were in company) for a half hour until his head cleared - lesson learned.
    You have to de-mystify alchohol and here I think wine has the advantage over beer because of its association with good meals. How many UK kids watch their dads sat in front of the telly knocking back beers? This could be easily interpreted as drinking for drinkings sake.
    I think it is incumbent on parents to teach their children about life, and that includes alchohol. Some to$$ers preaching sh1t about prosecution will only add glamour and mystery (re. soft drugs) to something that is an integral part of most social occasions, and denigrate it to the same level as other forms of stimulant.

8. There is some pithy quote or other about unenforceable laws being the sign of a failing nation.

3000+ new laws and statutes from this government.

= ?

9. The banner-in-chief from Alcohol Concern (or something similar) who was on R4 this morning wasn't giving an inch. The French model was dismissed as more Froggies are getting Cirrhosis, apparently. Notably didn't specify how many, or how that reflected demographic shifts in the Surrender Monkey population for starters.

Anyhoo, shock bloody horror, the Minister in Charge of Ticking Poor People Off for Eating Lard, Ms Flint, ACTUALLY SAID SOMETHING SENSIBLE. I nearly went through the crash barrier...

However, I don't think 'nice' people giving 'nice' well behaved teenagers a drop of the vino at the 'nice' Sunday lunch is the problem - said sprog nicking half the contents of the drinks cabinet and necking the lot, landing up in A&E is not so clever.

And that is a parenting issue, not a 'bring in another law because the unwashed are getting trollied on WKD' issue. The packs of teenagers hanging around the 7-11 pestering anyone vaguely adult to buy them a bottle of Vodka would evaporate quicker than Special Brew at a tramps convention if Plod could pick them up, take them home where the fecking parents would tear them a new arrsehole for being caught drinking underage. Just like what happened to me when I was caught (early 70s).

Kids will see booze everywhere they go - that's our society. If you ban it, they'll find a way to get their hands on it, and if they don't know the limits and don't respect the stuff they'll be in stomach pump city. Get them to try it, actually appreciate it (which hopefully will lead to the end of alcopops!) without falling over and we're halfway there.

10. Umm, yes, arresting parents is usually just the thing for benefitting the upbringing of their kids. Why not imprison them too - and then the all-wise state can bring the children up, with the success it always has.

I find these self-rightuous pressure groups demanding banning/prosecution absolutely awful - and seemingly quite a nasty British phenonema.

11. Part of the problem is the ‘rites of passage’ mystique that surrounds drinking. Young people are attracted to it partly because of the very fact that the law says they aren’t allowed to have alcohol until they’re grown up. This soon turns into a mindset that says ‘if I drink it means I’m grown up’. And because they’re young, they don’t know when to stop.

Allowing children access to the occasional glass of wine with a meal serves to remove the mystical aura, so that when one of their friends boasts about sneaking a swig out of the parental store the response is more likely to be ‘So what?’

And anyway, people like these self-appointed pressure groups don’t appreciate how resourceful young people can be. Like the well-meaning idiots who proposed that cigarettes should no longer be sold in packets of ten; can’t they understand that young people won’t just stand wistfully with their noses pressed against the Late Shop window? They’d just club together and buy a packet of twenty (thus, by the way, making it slightly cheaper).

Parenting is best done by parents, not interfering ‘nanny knows best’ groups.

(Plus, if you get your child pissed they’ll eat anything. Stops the fussy eating problem in an instant.)

12. My dear sir, I must interject. We might have started off the concept but others have expanded the scale and self-righteousness. Namely our Transatlantic chums - another triumph for British exports!

Having said that, the trout on the Today prog did seem particularly humourless - in the words of the Immortal Milligan 'needs a good dinner and a shag'.

13. This proposal is daft - and nannying, and patronising.

The French etc. may well have got it right - for their children .

But genetic disposition has a lot to do with tendencies towards drunkenness and alcoholism.

Brits are genetically fairly distinct from the French, Italians, Spanish etc.

Leave it to the parents (assuming they were fit to have been bred-from in the first place). 8) :roll:

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

When you say "genetically" surely you mean "culturally" :?

15. What they going to do??

Put big brother in the houses of Parents. This country is going mad.