Parents banned from Playground

I'm sure this particular incident is isolated, but there's something deeply unnerving about local councils feeling they have the right to interfere in family life to this extent...

Parents have been banned from adventure playgrounds because a council says only adults with criminal records checks can be allowed near children.

All grown-ups have been excluded from two play areas in Watford, apart from a few council-vetted 'play facilitators' who will help youngsters.

A council notice to parents said: 'Due to Ofsted regulations we have a responsibility to ensure that every authorised adult who enters our site is properly vetted and given a Criminal Records Bureau check.'

Barred parents were furious yesterday. Marcella Bergin, 35, has been visiting with three of her children for many years without any problems.

She said: 'It's like they are branding all parents potential paedophiles, which is disgraceful - 99 per cent of people are great parents and certainly not child abusers.'

Retired youth worker Mo Mills, 62, said she was stunned to learn she could not watch her five year-old granddaughter play in the park.

She added: 'This place is for the public and what the council have decided to do is totally out of proportion.

'I understand the need to keep kids safe but this is just a step too far.'

Claude Knights, founder of Kidscape, said: 'Caring parents should not be viewed as a threat. You are in a better position to look after your children than council staff.' Mayor Dorothy Thornhill said the council was merely enforcing government policy.

She added: 'Sadly, in today's climate, you can't have adults walking around unchecked in a children's playground.'

However, Ofsted said only people working with children needed to be checked, not all adults on the premises.

It added: 'We would never seek to prevent parents and carers having access to their own children.'
Metro link

Mind you,if one of the obese parent's tripped and crushed a child or two,then Mayor Thornhill would be seen as a prophet who foresaw the impending disaster.

Who enforces this?

Do the Local Authority pay people to monitor and patrol the playgrounds?

Are they CRB'd?

Is it the plod being made to patrol the areas asking parents if they are CRB'd?

If someone tried to stop me taking my son to a playground I would:

Firstly think it was some kind of wind up

Or

Beat the sh1t out of them

This is just the first step in the master plan to remove all children from the supervision of unqualified, untrained and politically unsopund parents and put them into council run indoctrination camps / nurseries (Delete whichever is untrue / unaccepteble).
This policy will also enable councils to employ more child developement co-ordinators directly from guardian recruitment.

vvaannmmaann said:
Mind you,if one of the obese parent's tripped and crushed a child or two,then Mayor Thornhill would be seen as a prophet who foresaw the impending disaster.
My chuckle at your comment was cut down by the sad realisation that it is of course completely true.

According to Watford Borough Council and contrary to media reports, the council have not banned parents from public parks and playgrounds in the town.

Harwoods and Harebreaks are not open public facilites. They never have been. They are closed, fully supervised facilities.

They are no different to other fully supervised facilities, like schools, playgroups or nurseries - to which adults may take their children, but are not allowed to stay.

Only a matter of time before people start killing some of these Stazi

So when a child hurts himself in a playground and looks for a parent what is the poor little mite to do?

I think this story is a bit of a red herring.

Volunteer said:
So when a child hurts himself in a playground and looks for a parent what is the poor little mite to do?

The child could always do what anyone who is now over 40 did.Get up,remove gravel from knees,carry on.
Helicopter parents will not allow a child to grow up and learn that falling from a tree is not something you do twice.

vvaannmmaann said:
Volunteer said:

The child could always do what anyone who is now over 40 did.Get up,remove gravel from knees,carry on.
Helicopter parents will not allow a child to grow up and learn that falling from a tree is not something you do twice.
Agreed, VM. I was thinking more along the lines of this proposal being extended to all playgrounds including those used by the very young. Like you, (I suppose), I think the apron strings do need to be cut at some point in a youngster's life.

A friend of ours had a baby.They came too see us,sat in garden.Kid eating soil,grass.I mentioned it to the Mum.She wasn't bothered.Her theory being that it would help develop the childs' immune system.Maybe she was correct?
Sorry for going off piste.

Booty said:
According to Watford Borough Council and contrary to media reports, the council have not banned parents from public parks and playgrounds in the town.

Harwoods and Harebreaks are not open public facilites. They never have been. They are closed, fully supervised facilities.

They are no different to other fully supervised facilities, like schools, playgroups or nurseries - to which adults may take their children, but are not allowed to stay.
Disgraceful. How dare you come on here with a sensible answer and contrary opinions.

The truth is somewhere in-between the two stories though. Here's a direct copy of her blog before it was taken down this morning (I love having cached copies available):

Adventure playgrounds - why we say no parents!

What has happened to the world!!! When a council fails to safeguard children they are, quite rightly pilloried in every newspaper. Yet, when we take a positive decision to safeguard children, by ensuring that all children left at a supervised play session are only left under the care of qualified CRB checked and legit staff, we get hounded for it! One journalist even declared we were breaching the human rights of the parents we don’t want hanging around!!!!!!!

The bottom line is we run two great adventure playground facilities that operate as a drop off for parents after school and at weekends. We have done this for years, no worries, parents happy and appreciative. At one playground a few parents started to stay around for all the sessions, this increased to the extent that staff felt they were spending more time worrying about what the parents were up to rather than watching and supervising the children! They should not have been allowed to stay that’s never been the policy, so yes we were lax in allowing it and have now decided to tighten up.

Imagine what those same papers would say if a child was snatched from the playground and we were accused of allowing free access of adults onto our site. Or worse still one of those adults was using it to acquire knowledge of and groom other children - yes sadly it happens we all know that. Again, we would rightly be pilloried . Those same parents don’t stay at school with their kids nor would any one expect them too. If parents want to play with their kids great there are loads of parks and places to go – we’ve got over 40 in Watford along with children’s centres and community centres; but our adventure playgrounds are supervised drop off schemes, where the only adults are our staff who will care for and look after your kids while you do something else. Bliss and oh and it’s free….. As a society we really can’t have it both ways.
Idiot paranoia from an idiot Mayor handled by idiot council staff.

Once again...."Who is Guarding our Guards?"

A CRB check is only good on the day it is issued, thereafter anything can happen but the bearer is OK cos he/she has been cleared, just like that filthy scum slut currently in custody. :x :x

I wonder how long it will be until we get evicted from the swimming pool in Aldershot at lunchtime if a child gets into the pool.

Volunteer said:
vvaannmmaann said:
Volunteer said:

Agreed, VM. I was thinking more along the lines of this proposal being extended to all playgrounds including those used by the very young. Like you, (I suppose), I think the apron strings do need to be cut at some point in a youngster's life.
My bold

I did more than twice and still have the scars to prove it. Didn't have me Mum and Dad bleating that the trees should come down, council was responsible.

We let my 6 year old daughter climb trees and she loves every minute of it so much so she wants to take up climbing properly.

Just put all kids in state run homes and forget them, until the are old enough and brainwashed to become good Labout Party members, simples

CRB checks are a complete waste of time, I had three done, one for my old job, one for scouts and one for my new job.

That was three years ago, and the annoying thing is that they aren't transferable, at 60 quid a pop someone's on a nice earner, it's like having to get a new driving license for each vehicle you own.

And as has been pointed out it didn't stop the nursery nurse and wouldn't have stopped Huntley either.