Parental pride

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by cpunk, Dec 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I went to watch cpunk junior play his first game of footie for his new school last Friday. It's a fiercely academic, competitive place, with ultra tough entrance requirements, and is costing the family cpunk some £12K per year to send the little darling to as a 'day boy'. In the Autumn term they play rugby, and junior has established himself in the 1st XV for his year as a flanker, but the spring term features soccer and the future love-God extraordinaire has managed to get into the squad for that too as a central defender.

This particular game was part of the first round of a Cup competition for schools from throughout the south-east and it was with unqualified pride that I watched from the touchline. Pride that he is doing so well at school; pride at his dazzling display in the first half; and yes, pride that he is, so far as anyone can tell, the first boy in his year... ever... to get a red card, made even more special by the fact that it was in his first match. It seems he took exception to some unhelpful advice he was receiving from one of his fellow defenders and it was probably only a lack of big match experience which led him to utter the immortal line: 'Felix, why don't you shut the fück up, you fücking tw@t' in his loudest possible voice, during one of the quietest moments of the match. Whoops! As the marching orders were given, I would have to admit a slight froideur developed between me and Felix's Mum and Dad who were standing next to me and were keen to point out that they weren't paying out all that money for their son to be called a 'fücking tw@t' by all and sundry but, in the long term, I expect he will benefit from the advice.

That's my boy!

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Oh the folly of youth!!!!

3. <... wipes tear from eye>

Moving man. Moving.

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Anyone called Felix fits the description so ably delivered by Punk minor but I feel that perhaps you are an ex-ranker as he delivered it with a little more venom than I would associate with twelve grand a year.

Money well spent by the sound of it.

Ps. Have you taught him to play “freckles” yet?

5. So what your telling us is you've raised a physchotic lunatic with an unnatural love of hair products. a fine talent that clearly needs grooming into directing this aggression away from verbal abuse to his own players and to physical abuse towards the opposition.

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

And Little Miss Fang's first try at Mini Rugby the other week. Drove over the line, grounds ball, held up says ref, some git kneed her in the back, up in tears wouldn't come off, drove over again, grounded ball, ref rules held up again, third time drove over try awarded. Walking back, says to ref, "Are you sure that wasn't held up as well.............. sir"

The length of pause was just perfect, no idea where she gets it from!

7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Just wait till you Felix gets packed off by mummy and daddy to the Factory to join the family "wedgiment" - he'll be called a lot worse than that!

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Oddly enough the Felix in question is one of three Felixes in junior's year: I suppose that says a lot about the middle classes of London.

Freckles! Good thinking, I'm on it...

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Good skills and you will find comprehensive education much cheaper too.

10. Can I hire your son to replace me at work for the day?

11. Being brought up proper working class, and now morphed into a Guardian reading type, I have a special hatred for public schools. I started reading your post, Cpunk, all ready to froth at the keyboard with righteousness, sneering at your whole outlook on life, child rearing and society.

But then it all changed. Your lad is obviously one of the few who will get through public school without turning into a floppy haired venal nonce. Can you find a way of making sure he can identify himself come the Revolution, so he doesn't go up against the wall with the rest of them?

12. Interesting. A public school in the southeast which charges 12,000 pounds for day fees? I'm intrigued as to which that is -- it seems rather cheap Fauré "proper" public school ;)

Steamywindow: Being brought up proper working class, and now morphed into a Guardian reading type -- so you'll be "shamefully" sending your kids to public school as well then after having concocted a spuriously vacuous and extended train of reasoning to somehow justify this within your political ideology then?;):twisted:

13. Funny, I went to a schit southeast London comprehensive and was the first member of the Veg family to go to a third-rate polytechnic and scrape a degree. Despite this I'm not the sort of chippy lefty scrote who judges how other people educate their children.

Us proles tend to divide into two camps once educated, don't we? Either Grauniad readers who want to develop yet more generations of welfare-dependent Labour voters who'll make the social-working classes feel good about themselves and, OTOH, red-blooded, live-and-let-live libertarians who believe in self-help.

Toodle pip! If I win the lottery little Veg is going to fcuking Eton in a gauche, new-money stretch Humvee. So there. :D

V!

14. Vegetius,

I used "Grauniad" in context and in public the other day and was greeted by absolutely blank stares! My explanation invoked even more blank stares - I don't think that my officers can cope with the concept that "once upon a time" the pages of a paper were prepared by hand (upside down and the wrong way round) for the printing press. I did add "until recently"!

I haven't read the Grauniad recently - does it still have the typos or have they gone modern with Microsoft's own versions?

"Phase" does not equal "faze".
    "There" does not equal "their".
    etc

And don't get me started on the Gestetner.....

Litotes

15. ^ I tend not to read the vile rag much myself, although in my humble the new "Berliner" format is most stylish.

V!