Parcel couriers - the message that we all dread

The other thing I've noticed a lot recently is when ordering things online you get given a delivery date and time by text or email, but they are delivering it a day or two early in a lot of cases. Fine if you happen to be in on the earlier day but if you're not expecting it and go out for the day only to find it carded and having to drive out somewhere to collect it then it's a bit of a pain in the arrse!

On Monday 7th June I posted a parcel to another arrser in Pembrokeshire, entered RM system at 14:30 ish and was delivered to the recipient in less than 24 hours.

I sent a small parcel to someone up in Shetland a couple of weeks ago.
I live just south of the M4. I put it over the counter at 10.30. By 13.44 the following day it had been delivered.

Bloody good for 2nd class.

If I send something to someone who lives 800 yards away, it takes a week.

Kirkz

LE
I live just south of the M4. I put it over the counter at 10.30. By 13.44 the following day it had been delivered.

I ordered 4 tyres for my van from a company in Devon, placed the order at around 15:00 on a Sunday,
On returning home from work on Monday at around 14:30 the tyres were on my backdoor step.

Ordered an item off ebay for a project I'm doing, the item is in Wigan and it was free postage to me in Preston. Order placed on 3rd June at 10:59 am and is coming via some carrier called Caribou, expected delivery date Monday 7th June, it's now Wednesday 9th June and the item is at the Hub in Hyde Manchester and has been for 6 days, I could have crawled on my hands and knees to Wigan and back to collected in 6 fkin days the useless cnuts.
View attachment 580064
We once had a parcel sent by Caribou , subbed off to Hermes , 10 days late. Cnuts

Chucking it on the overnight plane helps, one advantage of far away.

Not quite a delivery but an Openreach engineer. He was due to visit yesterday between 13.00 & 18.00 to sort out the abysmal Wifi we have. The wife waited in all afternoon for him, no arrival. Mrs rings EE as they are the ones who organised the visit as it's nothing to do with their equipment at 18.30 and reorganises another visit. At 19.00, she recieves a text stating "Steve has completed his visit and all is in order". Mrs is ringing EE again this morning to find out WTF!
Get your compo face ready.
1623249120653.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ordered a couple of things from Australia, got a tracking number from AusPost, all good so far, tracked all the way to UK with email updates....
Then Parcelfarce get hold of it - they emailed me to say there were some customs charges to pay (fair enough, and expected) and to check the tracking for details.
Your parcel is being held in our delivery depot awaiting payment of customs charges. The addressee is being sent a letter outlining the charges and how to pay.
So essentially they emailed me to let me know they are sending me a letter...... No doubt thats how they justify their punitive 'handling charge' w@nkers!

Kirkz

LE
Ordered a couple of things from Australia, got a tracking number from AusPost, all good so far, tracked all the way to UK with email updates....
Then Parcelfarce get hold of it - they emailed me to say there were some customs charges to pay (fair enough, and expected) and to check the tracking for details.

So essentially they emailed me to let me know they are sending me a letter...... No doubt thats how they justify their punitive 'handling charge' w@nkers!
At RM the handling charge for customs taxes is because RM pays them first and has to recoup it from the recipient, if the recipient doesn't pay them RM is out of pocket. Don't know if it's the same for Parcelforce.

At RM the handling charge for customs taxes is because RM pays them first and has to recoup it from the recipient, if the recipient doesn't pay them RM is out of pocket. Don't know if it's the same for Parcelforce.
Should Royal Mail set up an E-**y account to recoup the costs ?
Just a thought

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Similar if not the same
This is an additional fee we charge in order to clear your parcel through Customs quickly and pay the customs duty, excise duty and import VAT on your behalf. This allows us to cover the cost of handling the parcel, administration, collection of monies and provision of facilities for Customs clearance.
Yet to receive the letter but from examples on Parcelfarce website it appears to be £13.50, how this equates to 'an additional fee we charge in order to clear your parcel through Customs quickly' and then s-l-o-w it all down by sending a letter, with all the enviro-impact that has, is laughable - well, it would be if I wasn't paying them to take the pi$$, frankly, i'd rather it's held by customs, they send me an email, I pay them directly online, they release item to the carrier. All this 'expedited clearance' just seems like an opportunity to gouge the recipient (not the customer, they're the sender!) at a point where they can't say no....

Kirkz

LE
Similar if not the same
Yet to receive the letter but from examples on Parcelfarce website it appears to be £13.50, how this equates to 'an additional fee we charge in order to clear your parcel through Customs quickly' and then s-l-o-w it all down by sending a letter, with all the enviro-impact that has, is laughable - well, it would be if I wasn't paying them to take the pi$$, frankly, i'd rather it's held by customs, they send me an email, I pay them directly online, they release item to the carrier. All this 'expedited clearance' just seems like an opportunity to gouge the recipient (not the customer, they're the sender!) at a point where they can't say no....
Most people would look at an email like that and think it was a scam or the scammers would use it as a way to scam people. Not an easy problem to solve, damnned if you do damnned if you don't.

Down the road from me an empty shop has just put up signs saying that an Amazon express is going to open.
It looks quite cool, i will get all of my stuff sent there to collect in person. Its a relatively new concept to the UK . You can download an app and scan your phone as you go in and shop for groceries, stick them in your bag and just leave. No checkouts.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Most people would look at an email like that and think it was a scam or the scammers would use it as a way to scam people. Not an easy problem to solve, damnned if you do damnned if you don't.
Fair point, It's rare we get any phishing emails so I didn't consider that threat, I suppose there are some that would pay for things they weren't expecting!

Kirkz

LE
Fair point, It's rare we get any phishing emails so I didn't consider that threat, I suppose there are some that would pay for things they weren't expecting!
You only need to look at the amount of people caught out by the Royal Mail text messaging scam, giving out their details to pay £2.99 for an undelivered non existant parcel and losing thousands to figure that out.
If customs started sending text or emails to people the scammers would be on it like hot snot.
No matter what parcel couriers do they will never please everyone.