Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parcel couriers - the message that we all dread

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
In fairness signed for these days is by the driver/postie, which does rather defeat the point, though understandable.
Understand it is no longer literally signing for it, but I didn't even know it was there.

I mean they are actually meant to check if you're in aren't they?

Kirkz

LE
Understand it is no longer literally signing for it, but I didn't even know it was there.

I mean they are actually meant to check if you're in aren't they?
Not judging by the amount of parcels I see dumped on doorsteps by Hermes, Amazon, DHL etc.
The UK version of porch pirates must be raking it in.

Why would a Parcelforce driver mark on the tracking service "Delivery Attempted" when he didn't come to the house, or leave a card?

His attempt was timed at 12.22. By chance I checked the tracking at 12.25 on my home laptop to find that we weren't in to sign for it 3 minutes earlier.

It was my wife's birthday yesterday, so I was being particularly vigilent for couriers this week, and had also ordered something online for myself.
On Tuesday, I got a message saying that Royal Mail would deliver my parcel on the 10th. Nope. On the 10th, approximately half an hour after Royal Mail had delivered a parcel for my wife, I got another message saying that Royal Mail "Could Not Attempt Delivery" of my parcel. Since then, Royal Mail have delivered two more parcels, but not mine.
Their website has been very cleverly designed to walk you through a wide variety of waypoints until you arrive back where you started none the wiser.

In future, I won't be using any online retailer that ships with Royal Mail.

Kirkz

LE
It was my wife's birthday yesterday, so I was being particularly vigilent for couriers this week, and had also ordered something online for myself.
On Tuesday, I got a message saying that Royal Mail would deliver my parcel on the 10th. Nope. On the 10th, approximately half an hour after Royal Mail had delivered a parcel for my wife, I got another message saying that Royal Mail "Could Not Attempt Delivery" of my parcel. Since then, Royal Mail have delivered two more parcels, but not mine.
Their website has been very cleverly designed to walk you through a wide variety of waypoints until you arrive back where you started none the wiser.

In future, I won't be using any online retailer that ships with Royal Mail.
Yes you will.
All the other couriers use the Royal Mail pipeline at some point, usually to get us to deliver to places they don't want to go to.
During Christmas there were two Amazon delivery vans in the village I deliver to and I was still delivering amazon parcels.

PFGEN

GCM
Why would a Parcelforce driver mark on the tracking service "Delivery Attempted" when he didn't come to the house, or leave a card?

His attempt was timed at 12.22. By chance I checked the tracking at 12.25 on my home laptop to find that we weren't in to sign for it 3 minutes earlier.

I had a similar recent experience with DHL. Message flashes up on computer screen about 5mins after said delivery man was supposed to have tried to deliver the parcel. I was at home all the time with a clear view of anybody arriving at the driveway. What's worse it had been snowing lightly for about half an hour before. Just a light dusting but it would have clearly shown any footprints or tyre marks. As you'd expect not a mark.

Called DHL and was told I'd have to go round to the DHL depot and pick up....eeh why...you haven't even attempted to deliver the package as you were contracted to do. I might as well have been speaking Russian. I tried asking if there was anybody there who wasn't a village simpleton. End of conversation. I hope it was recorded for training purposes.

Collected package a day later at the depot. They couldn't have been more uninterested. Conclusion, it would appear that all these services couldn't give a flying f3ck and if your package is lost then tough, not a my job.

I had a similar recent experience with DHL. Message flashes up on computer screen about 5mins after said delivery man was supposed to have tried to deliver the parcel. I was at home all the time with a clear view of anybody arriving at the driveway. What's worse it had been snowing lightly for about half an hour before. Just a light dusting but it would have clearly shown any footprints or tyre marks. As you'd expect not a mark.

Called DHL and was told I'd have to go round to the DHL depot and pick up....eeh why...you haven't even attempted to deliver the package as you were contracted to do. I might as well have been speaking Russian. I tried asking if there was anybody there who wasn't a village simpleton. End of conversation. I hope it was recorded for training purposes.

Collected package a day later at the depot. They couldn't have been more uninterested. Conclusion, it would appear that all these services couldn't give a flying f3ck and if your package is lost then tough, not a my job.
Following a recent similar incident, I was informed by a very patient and polite young man that as my parcel had failed to turn up, I needed to get in touch with the retailer I purchased it from. They’re responsible for getting the package to you on time. Your contract is with them, not the courier or delivery company who shipped it.
Not much help, but obviously the couriers know this hence the attitude of some of them.

Kirkz

LE
Following a recent similar incident, I was informed by a very patient and polite young man that as my parcel had failed to turn up, I needed to get in touch with the retailer I purchased it from. They’re responsible for getting the package to you on time. Your contract is with them, not the courier or delivery company who shipped it.
Not much help, but obviously the couriers know this hence the attitude of some of them.
Not quite right, the contract is between the the retailer and the courier company as they are the ones who paid for it to be shipped so it's up to them to start the complaint.

Purchased an item online valued at @ £10 with shipping, seller sent item via Hermes and provided me with tracking number, a few days later I checked on Hermes site and the item is shown as delivered, digging further I find a photo of delivered item in front of a door with glass panels - my door is solid wood.
Email to Hermes stating they had delivered to the wrong address, I get a reply next day that they had checked and the driver says he had delivered to the correct address..

1613218904849.png

I contacted the seller and explained that their courier had delivered to the wrong address, seller asks for my address again and says he will send replacement..
I contact Hermes again and send photo of my front door..
Couple of days later I receive replacement item - delivered by Hermes and later a reply to my email to Hermes:

1613218459284.png

I sent a copy of the above to the seller, they thanked me and refunded my purchase as a thank you, as well as sending replacement item. :)

I’ve had the “you’ll have to contact the courier for that” conversation a couple of times.

“No I won’t, I paid the delivery charge to you, on your website, I’m not spending hours getting the runaround from couriers, so you sort it, or it’s cancelled“.

Seemed to work.

The joy of Amazon packaging.

Mrs orders some cutting mats for her business.
Now these aren't your normal cutting mats, they're a bit bigger, sort of 2 sheets of A4 short end to short end.
The box these 5mil thick sheets arrived in is 750x500x150???!!!

I've got quite a lot of kindling for the wood burner in the garage now.

The joy of Amazon packaging.

Mrs orders some cutting mats for her business.
Now these aren't your normal cutting mats, they're a bit bigger, sort of 2 sheets of A4 short end to short end.
The box these 5mil thick sheets arrived in is 750x500x150???!!!

I've got quite a lot of kindling for the wood burner in the garage now.
Joy? Do one. Our recycling bin gets emptied once a month. If it isn't rammed full by the end of the second week with the stuff she buys from them, Amazon shares take a tumble.

Edit: She said to me the other day that she'd read somewhere that there was a shortage of cardboard. No shit Sherlock...

Last edited:
Philadelphia to Castle Donnington - just over 12 hours

Castle Donnington to a mere 43.1 miles from there - 2 days + dunnomate

Cheers, UPS.

Last edited:
Hermes playing a blinder - again.
Ordered item, wrong stuff arrived. Arrange to return it via Hermes. In the meanwhile they have delivered three other items on three different occasions which are all correct. I ask about the parcel to be returned, "Nope I don't do collections", well that was the gist of it. The driver could hardly speak English.
So I moaned to the seller. They are sending DPD to collect, no idea when though.
FFS.

Hermes playing a blinder - again.
Ordered item, wrong stuff arrived. Arrange to return it via Hermes. In the meanwhile they have delivered three other items on three different occasions which are all correct. I ask about the parcel to be returned, "Nope I don't do collections", well that was the gist of it. The driver could hardly speak English.
So I moaned to the seller. They are sending DPD to collect, no idea when though.
FFS.

The Hermes driver is bone idle. I used to do a Hermes round.... they do collect returns.