Parcel couriers - the message that we all dread

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I did but then I work in the industry, I imagine quite a few didn't.
How many know where Yodel get their name?
I am guessing it's because, inept imbeciles who couldn't find their arse with a torch and both hands, was a tad long for the van.

Kirkz

LE
Slim Bloody Whitman ?

Are you one of the old cnuts who deliver parcels from their zimmer frames ?
No I'm one of the younger cunts that collects zimmers and weighs them in for scrap.

My brother used to drive for DX, collecting documents from police stations and delivering to court buildings and vice versa
An old mate from school days got a job straight out of school aged about sixteen down in the inns of court delivering court papers between various buildings, by barrow or just delivering by hand.
A very down to earth and common bloke not posh at all, in fact he was from one of the roughest ropiest families in the area.
When he was about twenty three or four the owner retired and explained /taught him how to take over the premises and run the company.
He never looked back and to this day he is still raking it in.
Unfortunately he dropped his family and old mates like a hot stone.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it's about time online sellers were upfront about which delivery service company they use, possibly offering alternatives. Sometimes i'd rather pay a bit extra knowing it's going to be delivered by a company that has a reliable reputation where I live, rather than trust it to the tealeaves in the delivery drivers morning cuppa as to whether it's going to be today, this week or never.
A lot of online sellers give options for delivery speed, which isn't always required, sometimes just getting it is the important bit.
Outside of quarantine, some delivery agents were quite happy to leave items in our parcel safe, some would deliver to neighbours and some would (seemingly) drive past moderately slowly to see if anyone was in for three consecutive days, leave a card on the third day and then return to sender.....
If the sellers told us who they were using, we would at least have a good idea if we were ever going to receive the item and choose a retailer accordingly.

All the courier companies use the same drivers, they fuck up at one company and just move on to another one..
Also one company might get a bad reputation in your area but are highly thought of in another.
My local Hermes driver is top notch ...

endure

GCM
I feel quite left out. I regularly buy stuff online and I've never had any problems with any couriers :(

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
All the courier companies use the same drivers, they **** up at one company and just move on to another one..
Also one company might get a bad reputation in your area but are highly thought of in another.
And where I live Hermes is terrible! I fully accept that in most cases it is down to local staff
For example
RM - will use parcel safe for signed for items
Parcelforce - will drop off at local-ish post office
DPD - won't drop off at neighbours or use parcel safe, no local pickup
DHL - as above but I can divert item to local pickup on the same day
Hermes - no local pickup, won't drop off at neighbours, won't use parcel safe, usually doesn't bother with a card.

If i'm selling old tat on fleabay, i'll use Hermes to send it because It's relatively cheap, I can drop it off at a local shop up to 2200 seven days a week - it's convenient for me but they still have delivery issues at other locations.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
All the courier companies use the same drivers, they **** up at one company and just move on to another one..
Our DPD driver is also our Yodel driver!

DHL
Last Tuesday picked up a consignment for me in Michigan, USA. Packages delivered to my workshop this morning at 11.00 am.
Distance 3,620 miles
Time 2 days

Hermes
Collected a parcel for from Middlesbrough (up north somewhere) last Monday. Package delivered to my workshop at 4.00 pm this afternoon.
Distance 183.7 miles via M62
Time 3 days

Say what you like about the Germans but they know how to make things run on time....
I use them for my business, 2 days is DHL Express TDI aka Time Definate, they are definately value for money, though sometimes parcels can land in the wrong gateway and have to be redirected adding another day or hours on top

Just bear in mind DHL is a brand and has many sub-brands aka DHL Global, DHL Parcel and DHL Mail etc

endure

GCM
Big up to UPS.
Picked up in Spain yesterday, delivered Shropshire 10:00 today.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Big up to UPS.
Picked up in Spain yesterday, delivered Shropshire 10:00 today.
A six year old girl ?

Oh no, that's the next country.

Latest Threads