Parcel couriers - the message that we all dread

Perishable goods on the way - I hope. Then today an email from APC. "This will enable me to track my parcel" apparently.Seems they have sub contracted the job to a firm that have no grownups there who are capable of answering a telephone.

Parcel Journey
At Hub (20 Apr 2020 23:50:05)
At Delivery Depot (21 Apr 2020 07:03:34)
Delivery Summary
There is no delivery information available right now. Please check again later, or contact your local APC Overnight Delivery Depot.

wheel

LE
Amazon delivered our new Sony Bravia flat screen TV today a day earlier than their tracking stated. I had even checked its tracking status at 08:30 this morning. Fantastic service nope. They just left it on our doorstep. Fortunately one of our neighbours saw it and put it in the house for us(They hold our spare key).

Item dispatched 11 days ago, STILL awaiting a tracking number from the supplier.

NB. Learnt ASIN means Amazon standard identification number (Stock number).... so only 99% of my efforts are wasted.

Edited to add:- Just got the tracking number! and in the 11 days DHL have had the item it has moved 100 miles further away from the delivery address, only another 23,600 miles to go before it arrives on my doorstep.

Last edited:

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Where I live and within a few hundred yards of my home there is a 4 ...... avenue, a 4 ......drive, and a 4 ....... gardens with the part of the name in dots being the same and the number of times a parcel meant for me ends up at one of the other number 4s is astonishing!!
Variation on the theme here in rural France. Out in the sticks, properties are often grouped into Lieu-dit ... (the area known as ... ). Sometimes there a single property in a Lieu-dit; in our case there are 4 of us up three different tracks from the main road. Properties in Lieu-dits tend not to have numbers and rarely have house names. The logic is that, in the good old days, the village postie knew everyone by name. Actually our postie does know everyone by name. The problem is that delivery drivers haven’t a clue and can’t be bothered to ask or the phone the contact number on their delivery chit.

The problem became so bad in the six months after we moved in that we asked the Maire whether we could either change our address or add a name/number. It was such a novel idea that he had to take advice from the Prefecture. We had to write a business case explaining our request that was then considered by the village council, ratified by the Prefecture and regional post office and discussed again by the Prefecture. 9 months later we were allowed to add a name to our property. 4 years later it seems to have reached various databases and most of our deliveries reach us (still not necessarily on time though).

We seem to have set a trend. Since our success with the Mairie, at least 5 other properties have named their properties. Numbers would be far simpler.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Lots of photos going around now about this couple who seem to wait until Amazon delivers then drive off with the parcel(s).
Amazon stealers 2.jpg

amazon stealers.jpg

I do wonder if it is merely another "joke" fake news thing.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gotta say, Hermes performed magnificently to day, -placed an order with "The Sausage Man" (The Sausage Man: Wholesale Hot Dogs Suppliers UK Based) yesterday with a next day delivery slot, bang on the crack of noon, Bratties, Krakauer and other assorted goodies delivered!

Last edited:

anglo

LE
I ordered a sat dish on eBay on the afternoon of the 13May, it arrived today [15] at 1400 hrs
Courier is DX, I've not heard of them, they informed me where it was all the way by email
Frecking good service

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I ordered a sat dish on eBay on the afternoon of the 13May, it arrived today [15] at 1400 hrs
Courier is DX, I've not heard of them, they informed me where it was all the way by email
Frecking good service
The council I used to work for used DX. It's short for Document eXchange. Had a couple of cockups, but I was there for nearly 20 years, so only to be expected.

Amazing, one part of the DHL site does not recognise my parcel tracking number, another part says the label was printed off but no parcel has yet being received, another says it's languishing at Eindhoven and another says it's it's in Leeds.
Bet reality is it's with their trusted Syrian courier Mohammed who is at this moment in Calais using the delivery fee towards the purchase of a grey rubber dinghy.

Edited to add:- Just received an e-mail saying item will be delivered sometime tomorrow..... looks like Mohammed made it to the Kent coast, will be looking to see him clutching my parcel on the 10 o'clock news!

Last edited:
One of my neighbours had a lucky escape today. Courier brought me a box. Label was damaged, all that was visible was the first name and partial postcode, knowing my name he brought it to me.
It was from Amsterdam. I'm not expecting anything, least of all Holland. I opened it to see if there was an address. There was, some three houses from me. More of a surprise was the contents - a limited edition/collectors model car. The guy had spent about £600.00 on the thing. He really looks like he does not have a pot to piss in, don't judge a book and all that I suppose.
I took it down to him, all I got was "Cheers" as he shut the door!

endure

GCM
The council I used to work for used DX. It's short for Document eXchange. Had a couple of cockups, but I was there for nearly 20 years, so only to be expected.

Solicitors use it to move legal docs around, If you look on a solicitor's website they usually have their DX number in the address somewhere.

Not a courier as such, but the Tesco home delivery driver just now.
We are all shielding, the gate at the top of the drive is shut and has a notice on it in English and Polish with instructions . The same instructions as on the delivery ticket.
The drive way alarm gives us about 60 seconds warning of any visitors , the entire drive is covered by CCTV.
Tonights delivery slot is 21:00 - 22:00 and as usual someone would have driven up to meet the delivery.
At 20:45 the alarm pings and there is a vehicle coming down at speed, brother goes out to the car to meet it,
I see the person open the gate ( needs a bit of force against the ram ) and then continue down the drive again at speed un till it meets the 4x4 and angry man . Tesco's version of Nigel Mansell's explanation , cant read English or Polish as he is ..... Somalian , Oh well another sign to print out. and he had to come down to the yard to do a 300 point turn as he couldnt go backwards.
I'm not angry , just flabbergasted . Brother on the other hand is in full forehead vein pulsating mode .

My brother used to drive for DX, collecting documents from police stations and delivering to court buildings and vice versa

Placed an Amazon order on Saturday,Sunday confirmation, delivery due on Wednesday by Yodel.

One of those Jeez why do I bother moments.

Imagine my surprise when logging on today just for a vague laugh I was only 3 deliveries away- 20 minutes later I was the proud owner The Trigan Empire Vol 1.

Hat doffed to the little scamp.

Placed an Amazon order on Saturday,Sunday confirmation, delivery due on Wednesday by Yodel.

One of those Jeez why do I bother moments.

Imagine my surprise when logging on today just for a vague laugh I was only 3 deliveries away- 20 minutes later I was the proud owner The Trigan Empire Vol 1.

Hat doffed to the little scamp.
All I read in that was “Trigan Empire”. Awesome.

Latest Threads