Parcel couriers - the message that we all dread

Good point - it almost guarantees them work for the next few days.......fail to deliver five parcels, well, that's five guaranteed deliveries in a few days time...

I suspect that they get enough work for the day without making any more for themselves. The DPD man usually arrives at my door around midday and he's done 40-50 deliveries by then.

Just had a consignment of meat delivered from Scotland by these peeps.

dx-van.jpg

I'd never heard of them before but I guess the meat company absolutely require a trustworthy company to deliver fresh goods.
They delivered at the time stated with no damage. Well happy.

I had to RMA a another defective SanDisk SSD a little while back. A little confusion initially, as it wasn't completely broken, but was slow as hell. Eventually, they sent me a returns label, and I dropped it off at the UPS agent.

Sure enough, as soon as I handed it over, I got an email on my phone with a tracking number. Over the next fortnight the SSD was in Belfast, somewhere in the Irish Republic, England, France, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Germany, Italy again and back to Germany.

By this point I wasn't holding out much hope of getting a replacement, but sure enough it turned up after about 16-17 days. It's the second one I've had to send back to them: the first time a German lady phoned me to ask if was OK to use my address in order to send the replacement. Strange lot, the Jerries.

I had to RMA a another defective SanDisk SSD a little while back. A little confusion initially, as it wasn't completely broken, but was slow as hell. Eventually, they sent me a returns label, and I dropped it off at the UPS agent.

Sure enough, as soon as I handed it over, I got an email on my phone with a tracking number. Over the next fortnight the SSD was in Belfast, somewhere in the Irish Republic, England, France, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Germany, Italy again and back to Germany.

By this point I wasn't holding out much hope of getting a replacement, but sure enough it turned up after about 16-17 days. It's the second one I've had to send back to them: the first time a German lady phoned me to ask if was OK to use my address in order to send the replacement. Strange lot, the Jerries.
Airmail or surface mail?

Just had a consignment of meat delivered from Scotland by these peeps.

View attachment 357729

I'd never heard of them before but I guess the meat company absolutely require a trustworthy company to deliver fresh goods.
They delivered at the time stated with no damage. Well happy.
DX - guess they're formerly the Document Exchange company I dealt with in public service.

When I was working with their service, they'd drop to specified sites, and it was your job to pick up from there. Looks like they've expanded a bit.

Wish them well. They were good.

DX - guess they're formerly the Document Exchange company I dealt with in public service.

When I was working with their service, they'd drop to specified sites, and it was your job to pick up from there. Looks like they've expanded a bit.

Wish them well. They were good.

DX - I'd forgotten about them - we used them when I worked for banks and building societies. Usually OK. The branch staff however, very unforgiving. I remember a series of deliveries failed because the van was involved in a fatal accident, the driver died. Well, the next morning the branches were ringing and I heard the helpline girls explaining and the branches were basically saying "yes, van crashed, fatal, I heard that, but where's my DX of documents, it's not good enough!" - the female branch managers took no prisoners!

Last edited:
DX - I'd forgotten about them - we used them when I worked for bans and building societies. Usually OK. The branch staff however, very unforgiving. I remember a series of deliveries failed because the van was involved in a fatal accident, the driver died. Well, the next morning the branches were ringing and I heard the helpline girls explaining and the branches were basically saying "yes, van crashed, fatal, I heard that, but where's my DX of documents, it's not good enough!" - the female branch managers took no prisoners!
In that situation, my response would have been "it's in the hands of the police. Feel free to complain to them!"

In that situation, my response would have been "it's in the hands of the police. Feel free to complain to them!"
Quite right too. I did exactly that back in 98 when one of our vans got hit by a truck in Magherafelt. Driver was mashed up pretty comprehensively (but lived). The van was full of computers for several schools, and some of the bitching that went on was unreal. "Out of my hands love, the driver is in intensive care, and the Police have the vehicle."

Some of the machines were for a big RC school in Ballymena. When I phoned them up to tell them that there'd be a delay, the nun said to me"Never mind the computers, we'll pray for the driver" Proper order.

I have no issue at all with Parcel Force but then I work for Royal Mail and the PF driver not only knows my address but also my delivery route so I often get my parcel given to me while I'm at work.
Had several parcels from Ebay delivered by Hermes and everyone has been delivered within the time specified, so I'm guessing I have one of their better drivers.

Last edited:
I recently got one of those royal mail cards through the letter box informing me there was an item of post they couldn't deliver to me because the sender hadn't put sufficient postage on it. Around the same time as this, I was expecting various ebay items, so I went online and paid the excess postage charge of £1.50 via paypal, and arranged a delivery.
It wasn't an ebay item at all. A mate of mine was clearing some stuff out, and had sent me LR005273, which appears to be a Discovery brake pedal rubber that I don't need, due to not owning a Land Rover.

Things intended for other people, that's a good un, too. Collectively and severally, I have been in receipt of various small things, mobile phone covers and the like, but also the guts of a BMW gearbox and a mechanical printing press. The press was about the size of a washing machine, and weighed over 200 lbs. It was also sent to me by name, not just address. Never got to the bottom of that one, but it was eventually picked up.

Also ordered a 3rd gen Core i3 CPU (£45) and they sent me a 3rd gen Core i7 (£200) by mistake. When I contacted the seller they said I could keep the i7 with their best wishes. Result.

Now, this is really strange.

What just turned up? A myHermes parcel courier with my parcel. And a sheepish grin plastered over his face.

The sheer unmitigated gall of the guy must have blown my mind as he's away with all of his eardrums intact.

Still, at least I can carry on with my plan of re-upholstering my sofa with cushion covers I'm making for myself. I've got a qualification in upholstery, y'all.
They always do that. They must get paid based on how quickly it’s “delivered”.

DPD are great until you have a problem. They won’t phone if they can’t find your address and there’s no way to contact the cnuts.
I know where our local MyHerpes driver lives. Saw him cleaning his ancient Citroen Berlingo one Sunday while I was out and about, made sure to wave. Service is very good...

I know where our local MyHerpes driver lives. Saw him cleaning his ancient Citroen Berlingo one Sunday while I was out and about, made sure to wave. Service is very good...
In the US, I had Fedex deliver a bed to a top floor flat. Hearing footsteps in the corridor but no knock, I opened the door as he was taping the "nobody home" notice to it. It startled him and he shouted "Fuck. I was hoping nobody would be home." It's a cunt's game the world over.

In the US, I had Fedex deliver a bed to a top floor flat. Hearing footsteps in the corridor but no knock, I opened the door as he was taping the "nobody home" notice to it. It startled him and he shouted "****. I was hoping nobody would be home." It's a ****'s game the world over.
In my old gaff, I was PAINTING the back of my front door when Royal Fail put a "Sorry you weren't home..." card through the door. The dude fair shat himself when I yelled after him.

Things intended for other people, that's a good un, too. ...................
That reminds me of something I received when I'd just started using ebay, in about 2006. It was a steering wheel for a computer game of some kind. Absolutely no use to me, but I managed to solve the mystery of why it was sent here. The seller had previously bought something from me, and had kept a compliment slip I'd put in the parcel. Somehow the name and address ended up on a parcel intended for whoever had actually paid for it. I messaged the sender and basically said what am I supposed to do with this huge box you've sent me ? He asked very nicely if I'd forward it to the actual buyer and he'd paypal me whatever it cost. He gave me the buyer's address and I took it to the post office, paid and fair play to the guy, he covered it.

I sold a Haynes workshop manual to someone in Belgium, and duly posted it off. A while later, I got a message off someone else in Belgium, asking why I'd sent him a car book. The Belgian postal services had delivered it to somewhere on the other side of the same town, with a similar address. There was nothing I could do, but the recipient kindly took it round to the right address for me.

The worst one was some Airfix plastic soldiers I got from a tip and sold on ebay for silly money. I sent it via signed for, and I also put my own address on the back of the box, crossed out, like they recommend you do. The silly sods delivered it back here, and one of my family signed for it. So I had to pay again to send the twunting thing. I have a theory that the post office owns ebay, on the basis they probably earn more money from it than ebay sellers do.