Paratroopers: Weak exits & Static-Line Problems

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jan 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Of interest to Paras, and others interested in Airborne operations. I must say, these are some of the worst exits that I have ever seen. It's a wonder that some were not injured. 8O

2. That is bad considering they're jumping with handbags!
  3. Gott in Himmel!
    What did the skybiff at the end do to create such mess?
  4. Nice post mate. Great footage. Goes to show the importance of not flopping out the door like a cripple. It is p@ss funny if your the bloke following them though...
  5. That bloke at the end of the video (2min 50 secs) actually managed to halt his descent in the slipstream! It also looks as if he popped a securing strap on his container during the feck up.

One lucky bloke!
  6. Wow must have been some crap landings and a hell of a lot of twists from that!
    Truly amazing!
  7. Critically poor despatching technique with a gaylord stood, arms raised YMCA style, focussed on clearing the static lines. No effort made to steady or stabilise the trainees into and through the door.
  8. I think on of them managed to sit down and have a cup of tea before pushing himself off. There didn't seem to be any urgency to move him on either.
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Imagine the state of them if they had decent sized containers in a packed c130 rather than handbags and all the space in the world!
  10. Static lines not checked by PJI/Jumpmasters. The guy next to the PJI? is doing nothing to assist him. As you can see they are being left to their own devices when the stick comes to a standstill. Once that happens and the momentum is lost you will get bad exits.

With the RAF. The PJI always checked your static line was being held correctly. The two PJI's from Brize on your stick that are always in the door, keep the momentum going and that helps you to at least get a launch off the step.

When we did Purple Pants in '96. The Yank PJI just stood there while we all ran out the door. Spoke to some of the US lads later who had jumped with the RAF system with our PJI's and they preferred it.
  11. Isn't there quite a difference between the US style of dispatch and the UK one?
    I just can't imagine sitting in the door!
  12. Purple Helmet was a good indication of how two methods differ. If memory serves me correctly, more blokes piled in from the Yanks then RAF.

Can remember a lad from 9 Sqn had a double failure and broke just about everything - only skin holding him together.
  13. The drills from a C-130 differ from the US to British Airborne style. Instead of turning into the door at 90 degrees then giving it a good old chest leading exit, the spams go out at 45 degrees or thereabouts, almost hitting the sill.

This inevitably leads to counting rivets and twists a Ghurka would be proud of :D
  14. Any idea what their logic is for this?
  15. Yeah he was a really good bloke and only got out a few years back. Was on crutches for years! I think he had a leg amputated in the end.