Paratroopers launch biggest battle in Afghanistan

#1
Link



"None of the British will leave that compound alive," local intelligence had reported a day earlier.

In reply to the threat, company commander Major Jamie Loden told a meeting of village elders that the Taliban "fight like women" and if they were men "they would dare to fight us".
A member of the mortars' platoon said: "The Taliban took us from the rear and we gave them a good spanking,"
 
#2
Excellent work, chaps.

Nice to see that they managed to get the 3PARA mortars' motto "inserted in the end" too. :D
 
#3
A member of the mortars' platoon said: "The Taliban took us from the rear and we gave them a good spanking,"
[/quote]

It appears the traditions of a certain mortar platoon are alive and well. Good work 16 Air Assault BDE!
 

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
A member of the mortars' platoon said: "The Taliban took us from the rear and we gave them a good spanking,"
Glad to see post firefight humour is alive and well. Doubt many civvies will get that, I only found out after joining you reprobates.

Well done lads. Keep up the good work. I also see that Captain Andy Mallet has been promoted and appears to be prospering. Last I read (admittedly over a year ago) he was a Lieutenant. Congrats
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
Well done. I like the fighting talk preamble to goad them. Now that's how you start a bar-fight!
 
#7
have already added this battle honour and quote to the 3 para mortar wiki entry. found here if you want a swatch.
 
#10
shortarms said:
Link



"None of the British will leave that compound alive," local intelligence had reported a day earlier.

In reply to the threat, company commander Major Jamie Loden told a meeting of village elders that the Taliban "fight like women" and if they were men "they would dare to fight us".
A member of the mortars' platoon said: "The Taliban took us from the rear and we gave them a good spanking,"
the taliban fight like women...classic!
3 para shit hot.
 
#11
If the Taliban fought like men, then 3 Para mortars would have an even easier task!
 
#12
If the Taliban fought like men, then 3 Para mortars would have an even easier task!
 
#13
Of course I'm very glad that no one Brit was hurt but gents let's call things by their real names.

It is no more than a tactical operation without any strategic importance. The Taliban would restore its control over the territory as soon as the troops live it. Damage to the Taliban forces is insignificant if we ever can speak about damage.

Major Jamie Loden as an experienced sodier (I believe) understands pretty well that the Taliban uses the best possible tactics - avoids direct military confrontations with superior British forces.
 
#14
Sergei - at least we seem to be doing well...what was your prognosis in say 1984??
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#15
Sergey while it is true that the Taliban will move in again once the Paras leave, this will have been a massive blow to the Talibans reputation in the area.

The Taliban think that they are safe in their strongholds in the green zone and we've shown them time and time again that we can go in there and get them wherever they hide. This will have been a massive psychological victory.
 
#16
Cuddles said:
Sergei - at least we seem to be doing well...what was your prognosis in say 1984??
In 1979 (I was a student of Moscow university that time) it was pretty clear for me that Soviet leadership made a huge mistake. In 1984 it was clear for everybody except some idiots in Kremlin.... though I suspect even they knew the truth but tried to postone to recognise the defeat as long as possible.
 
#17
crow_bag said:
Sergey while it is true that the Taliban will move in again once the Paras leave, this will have been a massive blow to the Talibans reputation in the area.

The Taliban think that they are safe in their strongholds in the green zone and we've shown them time and time again that we can go in there and get them wherever they hide. This will have been a massive psychological victory.
The locals see that foreign soldiers could sometimes visit their villages for few day while Taliban is constantly near.

Has Kabul's regime established its control over territories where the operation took place? No. So from strategic point of view it is fruitless.
 
#18
Worse, I wonder who who we are backing. Who is 'Kabul'? Karsai? Or the the warloads/narco khans he has to support? It s just not that simple.

We can 'take' the area, but the villagers know they can be slotted at any time in the cover of darkness by the TB/Narco war lords, so territory is irrelevant. Until we can give the average Afghan an alternative livelihood to poppy we are going no where.
 
#19
KGB_resident said:
Cuddles said:
Sergei - at least we seem to be doing well...what was your prognosis in say 1984??
In 1979 (I was a student of Moscow university that time) it was pretty clear for me that Soviet leadership made a huge mistake. In 1984 it was clear for everybody except some idiots in Kremlin.... though I suspect even they knew the truth but tried to postone to recognise the defeat as long as possible.
I went to a lecture by John Erickson; his take on Afghanistan was that it was a horrible cockup; they'd sent "son of someone" (what's the nomenklatura equivalent for "Tim Nice-but-Dim"?) off to Kabul to assess the situation, and they claimed that everything could be solved with a surgical strike by the KGB Alpha team.

Except then they needed "just a battalion of paratroopers" to finish things off. Make that "the rest of the Regiment". Actually, the Division should be just enough. Oh crap...

His claim was that during that short period in 1979, there were three heart attacks amongst the Politburo...

...Apparently, the first invasion of Chechnya came immediately after a week-long birthday party for Pavel Grachev (read: drinking beyond the dreams of Irishmen or Pipe Bands, but perhaps not Lemmy or Shane MacGowan) and his old buddies in the Transcaucasus Military District. A pissed-up unilateral military decision to send a column of troops into downtown Groznyy to show the locals who's Boss, would explain why the Foreign Ministry seemed surprised that it was happening...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trip_Wire Multinational HQ 9
B Health and Fitness 2
Bondi-Babe-Magnet The Intelligence Cell 125

Similar threads

Latest Threads