Parasilk tops

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sandbanks, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in t'80s our tailoress used to have a nice little sideline knocking up running tops from parasilk from decommissioned canopies (parachute, not land rover). They were the mutts for running being both windproof and very lightweight. Does anyone have any idea if anyone is still making them?
  2. The tailoress in BATUS made me on a few years back.....not much help now, tho...

IIRC, Arktis do a similar top, in green with a hood...a couple of my unit have them and swear by them...

3. Aye, the "Zoot Suit" nice piece of kit. Penrith Survival sell the set for £50.
  4. Got two complete sets made up, tops and bottoms, still use em now, lightweight and warm, I remember one bloke getting caught nicking a chute for this purpose and getting right in the shit for it.
  5. HM Supplies in Aldershot and Camberley were doing them 2 years ago.
  6. I really risk being a pedantic t#at here. Very few parachutes were ever made out of 'silk'. The material used is referred to as 'calendered nylon'.
    Had my first 'zoot suit' in 1970 and you're absolutely right, they are the mutts.