Paras without wings - no planes for jumps...

well jumps may be being reduced due to operational tempo but July has been a good month..

my coys penguins got there wings this month.

and three jumps in the states for yours truely.....

.....jet wings anyone!!!!!! 8) 8)

Red

I dont know, but id find it hard to believe that the Para Regt battalions would allow guys to stay in the battalion a long time, without the prospect of doing the jumps course.

If guys from other units have done P Coy but have to wait a while until they can go to Brize-thats understandable...I get the feeling thats what the article means.

Imagine the poss taking the blokes would have in 1,2, 3 Para if they had to wait a long time for Brize norton to come up.

Im not saying this article is wrong, but it might not be as bad as its stating.

But if im wrong, its a sad state of affairs for the para regt.

red_phos said:
well jumps may be being reduced due to operational tempo but July has been a good month..
I doubt it's got much to do with operational tempo. More likely a result of government penny pinching.

red_phos said:

Red
OFR!

RFUK said:
red_phos said:
I doubt it's got much to do with operational tempo. More likely a result of government penny pinching.
Well ok, there are several reasons: tight budget, few aircraft, aircraft needed on ops...and (of course) most importantly the RAF being JACK!

Gluck_ab said:
red_phos said:

Red
OFR!

I'm trying to find the t-shirt that says 'i've been sucked off by a C17'!

Well, down here in the South East we are still making Parachute Training Balloons just like the RAF used to use and I currently have two going through the factory for an overseas customer. Lots cheaper than aeroplanes to buy and to run . . . roll up . . . roll up.

Alsacien

LE
ericthellama said:
Well, down here in the South East we are still making Parachute Training Balloons just like the RAF used to use and I currently have two going through the factory for an overseas customer. Lots cheaper than aeroplanes to buy and to run . . . roll up . . . roll up.
Thanks, you just reminded me how feckin scary ballon jumps are....

Apparently its the silencewhen you're up there. When delivering one to an EU customer they invited me to go up . . . no chance. I don't do heights which is strange for a balloon supplier.

Would of loved the opportunity to do a balloon jump... betcha the exit is nicer than a CH-47 ramp!

If you talk nicely to the Belgian Paras at Schafen they might let you! It does seem criminal that we're not investing in our armed forces but that applies all across the board. It's something we're going to regret even more in the future.

The balloon jump isn't that far removed from what you experience when doing a bungee jump: wind, creaking cable... silence. I actually found the latter more unnerving than the former, but both a world away from the sense assault one gets on an airdrop.

Balloon jumps are the best fun...

Unhitch the D ring from the anchor... Pull it all the way out, bring it over your shoulder, down your front, between your legs, back up to the anchor point and hitch it back up. Step into the door and carry out a textbook forward somersault at 800'... Pure joy... :D

Or ride a bike out of the cage like our PJI did once... That was another fun one.

Yes, it is usually silent up there too... If the breeze is stiff you may hear it on the cable, otherwise it's deathly quiet and still... The opposite of the Herc.