Paras tread warily in Helmand province

From The TimesApril 21, 2008

Paras tread warily in Helmand province as they learn the skills of ‘going lethal’
The newly arrived troops from 2nd Battalion are eager for action, but first they must get to know their enemy in Taleban heartland
Michael Evans in Kajaki
The British sniper lay on the rooftop of a compound within sight and range of about 20 Taleban armed with Kalashnikovs and rocket-propelled grenades in a dugout, and waited for the order to “go lethal”. He had already fired warning shots but the rounds from his long-range 338 rifle had failed to scare them from their bunker.
More on the link
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3785248.ece

Whats with all this para's "going lethal" stuff, was reading something before about outside this base there was a field of grass and it was full of terry and nobody was allowed to even go near that wall and the mined it, but the paras where climbing up the wall throwing grenades over the top etc.

"the Paras blast holes through a compound wall, using a bar mine"

Ah, the old AP formula; add P for Plenty.

:D

Wasnt Ross Kemp going out with them?

Good luck maroon machine, hast ye back!

He wouldnt go out when they have first deployed, the MOD would want to let them get squared away for a couple of weeks.

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
He wouldnt go out when they have first deployed, the MOD would want to let them get squared away for a couple of weeks.
He didn't go out straight away with the anglians.

Edited for Tw@t type.

I met Ross on a long haul flight the other week. He had just finished doing some filming that will no doubt be another storming documentary in a dangerous part of the world. I shook his hand over the series he did in Afg and just said thanks.

Quality bloke.

and the usual spastic responce :roll:

All very casual, and highly unlikely. By all accounts, when journalists aren't around, they have no such tenderness, and kill everything that moves. Which explains why Afghans are progressively less likely to support NATO's presence. Nato kills far more civilians than the Taleban does. After a while, the locals realize which side their bread is buttered on. Time to leave.

J Welch, Victoria, Canada

Latest Threads