Paras ready to jump on Taliban as drug war looms

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Nov 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Paras ready to jump on Taliban as drug war looms
    Sunday Times Online
    Link

2. A single paratrooper jumped into action in the Falklands. He took over 2 PARA from the late Lt Col H Jones VC

3. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Hardly counts as the airborne insertion of a unit into combat though, does it?

4. He was flown from Ascencion and dropped in the sea at night... Col David Chaundler if memory serves?

5. Your point being??

6. Full story here

Yeah right. Which numpty thought of this one!

7. WTF. Why do they need them to jump? Whats wrong with getting them there normally?.

But honestly why do we need to eradicate the opium poppies? Britain has a natinal shortage of dia-morphine (which is actually heroin by a different name.) Currently it's thought that heroin is actually cheaper on the street than dia-morphine (according to my sister who is a medic). Why can't we just buy straight from the Afghanis and kill two birds with one stone?

8. I reckon the (completely unnecessary) jump is just a bit of propaganda for Phoney Tony and his bunch of crooks. I bet all the journos who aren't allowed anywhere near the troops will suddenly be able to magically deploy to catch everything on film in glorious colour for the folks back home.

Re buying the crop: this is something I (along with a few others) have been advocating from the get-go.

MsG

9. quote - 'The Airborne Task Force, a role currently filled by 2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, is ready to fly to Afghanistan within 12 hours and be on the ground within 24 hours'

but what will actually happen, is they will get to Brize or Lyneham, then spend at least 24 hours gotting f###ed around between the terminal, gateway hotel, mess (if they are lucky) & para hanger, whilst us crabs try to find enough hercs to do the task. at best then they will have to get vc10 or tristar to Kandahar then whatever in-thearta transport is available.
    crab-air ain't got enough servicable hercs for this type of operation anymore.

10. Where will they get the 6x C130s from? Santa Claus? :roll:

11. (playing devils advocate for a moment) Surely if they bought opium stocks, it sets a precedent? For example, should we do the same for countries in South America?

12. :lol:

13. Why not? Did you see that report on test swabs taken from the conveniently placed marble shelves in the House of Commons toilets? Charlie is in the House big time and NO media bod could survive a regular drug testing regime from Editors downwards.

Do the deal and sell to the MP’s and Govt. staff at wholesale prices instead of another pay rise.

14. It would be nice to see Fleet Street going through cold turkey!

I thought Charlie was down the pub big time?

15. Why not? And since when has any sort of equality ever existed in world trade?

It's not a new idea though. In the mid-80s, Kun Sa, warlord of the Golden Triangle on the Thai/Burmese border offered to flog the whole crop to the Septics for $50 million. The Septics declined, since they were content to run around in the jungle playing soldiers and blowing up disused sugar-kitchens, then declaring they were winning the "War on Drugs".

In the REAL world it would happen in a heartbeat. Shame, eh?

MsG