Paras or Royal Marines to gain combat experience?

Currently in the process of joining the Royal Marines for basic training but have been looking into the Parachute Regiment as well. Out of the two, which would you say will give you a better chance of gaining real combat experience, during these relatively peaceful times?

Sounds like a junior question, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a soldier and to do what a soldier is meant to do. That said, there is certainly a lot to gain from simply being a part of these great units.

Just doesn't feel right to go through all the training, etc but to never actually see action.

I'm 24 now and have made sure to have my fair share of lessons from civvy street before applying. Just want to know I am making the right choice.

Cheers

Nato123

War Hero
Currently in the process of joining the Royal Marines for basic training but have been looking into the Parachute Regiment as well. Out of the two, which would you say will give you a better chance of gaining real combat experience, during these relatively peaceful times?

Sounds like a junior question, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a soldier and to do what a soldier is meant to do. That said, there is certainly a lot to gain from simply being a part of these great units.

Just doesn't feel right to go through all the training, etc but to never actually see action.

I'm 24 now and have made sure to have my fair share of lessons from civvy street before applying. Just want to know I am making the right choice.

Cheers

I call mahoosive Wah!! .. or immaturity beyond belief

Ever since i was a kid I wanted to be a Soldier too.

I joined the ACF as soon as I could - 3 years of camping, shooting and being fingered senseless while doing a few star badges , not starfishes

I then joined up as a Boy Soldier as soon as I could after doing my medial and all tests while still at secondary skool- and then went on to serve for another 20 odd years.

I didn't wait until I was 24

Getting back to you question...

1 PARA SFSG would be my bet.

Both the Parachute Regiment and the Marines deploy - or deployed - pretty frequently. Find the Regiment that fits you best, you'll be in it a while (assuming you pass). You need to enjoy the work environment outside of operations as well.

As for the real combat experience, in the nicest possible way, be careful what you wish for. Good luck with whichever option you go for.

Latest Threads