Paras or Rifles

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Zenno, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I'm 24 and am going to join the army soon. I am joining the infantry but can't decide on a regiment. I am thinking either paras or rifles. What I basically want to know is what are the main differences between the paras and the rifles? eg day to day lifestyle, how often they are used in war, standards etc etc. I spoke to the guy at the recruitment office about it and he was very vague and just gave me the Infantry handbook. I tried looking on the internet and doing searches aswell, but all you get is "we're the best" type propoganda in most cases.

I know the different types of Infantry are mechanised, armoured, air assault, light etc etc, but do these roles differ greatly? Is life in one regiment vastly different to another? I want to hear from people with experience so I know as much info as possible on how they differ before I commit myself to a regiment.

Thanks a lot.

Zenno

2. Zenno,

All the info required is freely available in the public domain.

Join Para Reg if you want to be airborne - simple as that. You'd also have the possibility of progressing to 1 Para, part of Special Forces Support Group. Para Reg/ Airborne Forces service provides an excellent foundation for attempting Special Forces Selection, should you be so inclined. Para Reg is exclusively "light" role. Essentially initial training is the same as the rest of the Infantry (CIC), but you'll be expected to do everything a bit faster than others. Plus, of course, you'll have to complete P Company - a significant step-up in physical terms from standard infantry training, but you'll be well prepared prior to attempting it!

The Rifles have a number of battalions, and you'll have the chance to serve in armoured and mech infantry, plus light role, including commando. Would also provide a good foundation for SF Selection.

Both regiments are excellent in their own ways, so really it's a matter of personal preferences, styles etc. Broadly, and generally, speaking the officers in the Rifles are likely to be a bit "posher" (ie more public school) than those in Para Reg; Para Reg is also likely to be more overtly aggressive/ "in your face" in style than Rifles. Rifles consider themselves "the thinking soldiers", and traditionally they've always attracted more overtly "intellectual" types as officers than has sometimes been the case in other infantry regiments. Soldiers also tend to be quite independently minded and outspoken. Paras tend to have a no nonsense approach, and are best characterised as "aggressively individualistic"!

In short, if you're committed to being a light infantryman in a unit likely to be deployed regularly on aggressive short-term operations, then go Para Reg. If, on the other hand, you want the opportunity to experience a broader range of infantry soldiering before deciding what exactly is best for you, then go Rifles.

Either way, they're both fine infantry regiments; very good at what they do, and you could do a lot worse than join either of them.

All the best,

Wessex_Man.

3. Forgive me if I'm wrong Zenno - but - aren't you winding us up here.

BT. :frustrated:

4. Good advice there Wessex man, seconded.

5. Thanks for the advice Wessex man. That's a lot of help.

6. You're forgiven.

7. Ok Mate.

Wessex_man gave a good post there so read it well and I wish you all the best on your decision what ever it may be. I know what I'd do tho.

Keep posting.

BT. :thumright:

8. Excellent post Wessex Man! One thing i will mention is if you join Para Regt, you'll be stationed in Colchester for the next 22 years, barring operations and exercises of course. I should imagine the Rifles will move around every 4-6 years roughly. Staying in the same place for 22 years may be a good or bad thing whichever way you look at it.

9. Thanks mate. What would you do Brew Time?

BTW, cheers for the info on Colchester, Fallschirmjager. I'll bare that in mind.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fally I thought the large large regiment post arms plot was to move individuals around the big regiments rather than the old rotations?
    I was led to believe that if you went to 5 rifles you could spend the whole 22 in theory in paderborn unless you did depot instructor etc?
    I'd have thought continuity was good for the pads with kids!

11. Para's - no question. Maybe 22 yrs in Colchester is not a bad thing, buy your own house and get a mortage etc.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I worked in Colchester after leaving the mob, sometimes even Aldershot can have attractions! Colly was shut for Christmas!

13. wessex_man your making me wanna go infantry now oh how you confuse me

14. 22 years in Colchester? You would get less than that for dry bumming the RSM!

15. Wasn't it the old 3 Para (ex mortars) RSM who invented KY though.