PARAs on Public Duties?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An American friend took some photos of the Changing of The Guard outside Buck House recently.

The guards in question are wearing Maroon Lids. Is it the Guards Para Coy or are/were a PARA Bn on Public Duties?

2. I think you will find the guys were Royal Engineers many of which are P-Company trained.
  3. 9 Squadron RE ?
  4. that looks likely, a quick search on the web shows 23 engineer regt provided guards in march
  5. The NCOs are all wearing their rank very low on the sleeve, not an RE practice that. They're not wearing the BBC either.
  6. I think the rank location is a flasher mac thing, someone who spends more time in one should be able to confirm or otherwise
  7. The Para Battalions have done Public Duties. That was a long time ago though.

Attached Files:

8. As an old soldier, I am always proud to see our young soldiers doing the business. Well done.

Just as an aside, I think these links provide a fairly robust rebuttal to that possibly 'Wah' thread where the value of military drill was questioned.

"By the right, quick march".....ah, those were the days. :lol:
  9. If that was a few months ago then yes, they had RE badges on the Maroon lids. I was working just round the corner for a few days and had a quick double take myself!
  10. Also 13 AAS Regt RLC are doing / done it.

11. Zulu-uhlu, you posted while I was gathering my thoughts.

Good on you, that was the rear end of my Army. Fine looking young lads.

Great coats and SLRs...wonderful to see. Good on you..
  12. I was in London over the Easter holidays and yes, they were RE.
  13. Ha!

Those Greatcoats were the worst thing I ever had to wear. I think they were left overs from WW1. :(

Notice, no BBC on the coats!
    I think it had to do with the cost of the tailoring for the whole Battalion, for an event that lasted no more than a month.

To be honest, I absolutely hated doing public duties, I'd rather be out in the field covered in she-ite!
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

BBC on the coats? BBC?