Paras make first operational jump since Suez, apparently.

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by PE4rocks, Dec 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't see any confirmation ATM but according to The Sunday Times;

More than 100 men from 1 Para jumped on an operation against the Taliban.(From a senior defence source) etc .

Tellingly, IMO, was this quote;
    "The fact that we have used this tactic, albeit on a small basis, has demonstrated how valuable it is" a senior source said.
    Once again, I take nothing away from the blokes, but as they carried little equipment according to to the article, was this more of an Operational PR job on behalf of Pegasus?
    There are no details of why they were dropped other than to surprise the Taliban. One presumes that if they had captured someone or destroyed a significant target there would be a little more in the way of PR other than "They jumped" This does not, of course, rule out that a clamp has been applied for Op-sec purposes and more details will emerge over time.

I apologise the the Airborne for my cynicism but in this day of PR and Spin we all know that what we hear is not necessarily what was said, nor even intended etc
  2. Please hold, your call is important to us :)
  3. Doesn't Chaundler's jump into the FI count as 'operational'?
  4. Spell his name right for god's sake ;-}
  5. 'Kin 'ell. I worked for him two years! Still, always ready to be corrected (it happens so often) I have referred to the Army List of September 1967 and it is: D R Chaundler.

Happy New Year!
  6. with shame and a kick *********** i shall now go forth and multiply,my thick error!
  7. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Any linky?
  8. Whether true or not I don't think the powers that be in the MoD are likely to put blokes lives at risk to give Para Regt a bit of publicity. I await this thread to go into the hole at any rate.
  9. It can't go in the hole yet, Auld_Yin hasn't been on :judge:
  10. As fallsch put it. The planning staff are not going to risk AC's, crew's, PJIs and 100 SFSG for just a bit of PR. If true, it would have been for a very good operational reason.
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

OK, all categories now covered? A la 'ole :highfive: :thumright:
  12. C'mon mucker you can do better than that! Just a little slagging wouldn't go amiss! :-D
  13. Well... many have commented that this was exactly what happened with Boy Browning at Arnhem.

Although I sincerely hope this is not the case this time round, remember that "war is politics by other means(C)"!
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Still Christmas mate - Goodwill to all men (including the unter mensch known as Paras) and all that you know.

Chin chin.

A-Y :meditate:
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Beats walking to work.
    The risk of getting there over land (if even feasible) was probably considered in balance with the risk of the drop. Plus you get the advantage of arriving without giving 2 days notice....