Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paras...Hat Cnuts..

He did...

He's currently having a piss, giggling that he's winding up a "Poor **** who couldn't make it into God's glorious Corps"

I can't argue coz he'll read it and break my ribs.

Ive heard all before, its just sappers being bored while Ammo Techs get on with real EOD.

It would have stayed wholly there (apart from the ammunition inspectorate and infernal machine role) if it hadn’t been for NI. The sappers couldn’t take on ‘booby trap’ clearance because sapper EOD was fully occupied on trying to clear Shoeburyness for what was going to be the third London Airport, and nobody knew that NI was going to become what it did.

The rest is history, as they say...

I think you‘re wide of the mark there. IEDD and enemy air dropped munitions are very distinct remits. The RAOC were doing IEDD long before NI, noticeably Cyprus and Hong Kong.

I think you‘re wide of the mark there. IEDD and enemy air dropped munitions are very distinct remits. The RAOC were doing IEDD long before NI, noticeably Cyprus and Hong Kong.

This was the ‘infernal machine’ role, which you were doing in the 1920s and even before. That’s why they thought about giving you the air dropped role before it was given to us.

This book is by ‘Uncle Arthur’ who was Sandy’s predecessor at EODTIC.

I think that the only one of that 'all star cast' who saw any action in WW2 was Hardy Kruger, abeit as a 16 year old in the 38th Waffen SS Division 'Nibelungen' in 1945.........
............and Richard Todd, an army captain, who wore his original beret that he wore when part of the para drop that took Pegasus bridge...he played the part of his real OC, major Howard.

Oyibo

LE
This thread is a nonsense. Some of my best friends are screaming hat mincers.

Next you'll be accusing us of ally-privilege.

Oyibo

LE
You will be telling us next that some of your best friends are Royal Marines!

I have indeed engaged in conversation with some Maureens. For Royal Navy chaps they buff up well in women's kit.

But they're still hats. Albeit sea hats

I think that the only one of that 'all star cast' who saw any action in WW2 was Hardy Kruger, abeit as a 16 year old in the 38th Waffen SS Division 'Nibelungen' in 1945

Denholm Elliott served with RAF Bomber Command during the second unpleasantness, His aircraft was shot down during a raid against the U-Boat pens and he spent 3 years as a POW. I also remember reading that Dirk Bogarde was an Intelligence Officer and was one of the first into Bergen Belsen concentration camp.

Denholm Elliott served with RAF Command during the second unpleasantness, His aircraft was shot down during a raid against the U-Boat pens and he spent 3 years as a POW. I also remember reading that Dick Bogarde was an intelligence Officer and was one of the first into Bergen Belsen concentration camp.

My bold.. In a conversation with a chat show host many years ago, he said that if he gets into a lift, or is in a shop, and he hears German spoken, he leaves when he can at the earliest opportunity. What he saw scarred him for life. He had no liking for the Germans.

Last edited:
............and Richard Todd, an army captain, who wore his original beret that he wore when part of the para drop that took Pegasus bridge...he played the part of his real OC, major Howard.

I don’t think that’s 100% correct. IIRC Todd was the officer in 7 Para that was part of the relief force. Apparently there was some discussion about him laying himself in the force.

Aha so ex paras are old hats then

Oyibo

LE
I don’t think that’s 100% correct. IIRC Todd was the officer in 7 Para that was part of the relief force. Apparently there was some discussion about him laying himself in the force.

From Wiki:

He served in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI), then joined the Parachute Regiment and the 7th (Light Infantry) Parachute Battalion as part of the British 6th Airborne Division. On 6 June 1944, as a captain, he participated in Operation Tonga during the D-Day landings.[5] He was among the first British soldiers to land in Normandy as part of Operation Overlord. His battalion parachuted in after glider-borne forces had landed to capture the Pegasus Bridge near Caen.[5] During the operation he met John Howard on the bridge and was involved in helping to repulse counter-attacks by the Wehrmacht forces in the area. Todd played Howard in the film The Longest Day, recreating these events.[6]

Latest Threads