paras from northern ireland

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Aaron163, Sep 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am trying to decide between the paras and the royal irish and i was jsut wonderng is there anyone from northern ireland in the paras

2. not a very good start aaron163 youre either looking for a bite or are going to try and do a bit of walting

there are quite a few from ni , why ask silly questions ? mong

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Really, it is not a bad question. As there are no paras other than Them and the RAF Regiment, should not the Para Regt change to the Airborne Regiment? This, of course will bring them in to line with the Line Regiments.

Controversial I know - but hard to argue against. Please don't take this as a 'dig' agin the paras but a discussion point.

4. how do you mean mate , care to expand on this a bit ?

5. i was just wandering because im trying to make a decision betweent he paras or the royal irish, and i just wanted to know were theyre any others from northern ireland in the parachute regt

6. why didn't ya say that in the first place . your question looked like a bit of bait .
    there is a few people about the paras from ni , also the rifles have a few , and obviously royal irish is about 75% northern irish

7. With both your considering during the 90's. Father's from Tyrone and was in from '65 to '87.

8. Yeah, there's more than a few blokes from NI in the Reg atm.

9. Yes there used to be one fron XMG who went over to the other side and met an early demise and one from Andersonstown who went west in an explosion in the gas works in Belfast.

Anyway that is history don't the Royal Irish have Para qualified people in the Bn nowerdays? Joining Para Reg hoping to rub shoulders with people from NI is a bit of a gamble, yes they are there but it doesn't mean that you will meet any of them. It's a large organisation where, I believe, a certain qualification means more than anything else.