Paras drop into Spain to train for future operations

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Dec 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Presumeably a recce for the next European war?
  3. I was gonna say pics or it didn't happen but there is a picture on there that presumably is them! :)
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Has Spain stopped burning honest Englishmen at the stake for not bending the knee to the vicar of Rome? If so, I may go there. I hear they hasta la vista but from 5,000 feet I bet it looks like low-rent brown scrub and some roads.
  5. Pedantic question; Why are the Spanish wearing British Parachute wings on their chests?
  6. Its not really a pedantic question, more of a question.

I don't know the answer but would hazard a guess that in the same way our guys wear american wings on their chest that the Spanish do the same to symbolise jumping with a foreign ally on ex/ops.
  7. I served with a guy who had jumped with the french when on exercise, but wore them on his right chest (like the french), but only on his smock - never in no 2's, blues or mess dress. My point, made in a round the houses fashion, is why don't 'El Paratroopers' wear them as do their Brit counterparts?
  8. I reckon the exercise was designed put the willies up them and convince them to stop making sideways glances at Gibraltar. Probably not designed to show our military might but more to show them just what happens when an entire company of Paras gets unleashed on the local nightlife.

Hell hath no fury...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. For the same reason the Para Regt can wear 1 set of foreign wings on right hand side{smock only)
  10. It only needs one angry Spanish peasant on the DZ for it to qualify as a 'combat Jump' .

Keeping the legend alive ;-)
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I bet gibbering their tits off on the "below freezing, arid slopes of Zaragoza" wasn't quite what the young Toms had in mind when informed they would be lobbing into sunny Espana.
  12. I love the name of the photographer Corporal Obi Igbo, a truly British name :)
  13. It's a good job it only rains on the plains :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Good job it's not the bootnecks. Last time they went to Spain they kept a bit.
  15. They've made at least one "accidental" visit since then. I'm told they had to beat a hasty retreat in the face of overwhelming numbers of bemused Spanish holiday makers armed with buckets and spades.
    • Like Like x 1