Paras beret

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Deadly_Homer, Oct 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I need to know what the bow on the back of the Paras beret is for. I am aware that it is a battle honour but I need more info. If anyone can help I would be quite grateful.
    Cheers

DH

2. dont think its for anything

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

WAH!!!!!!!!!!

4. It's a draw tape numpty, thats all. Pull it to fit the head and tie bow. :)

5. However...I would be interested in finding out what 'Battle Honour'? The Battle of Bow Hill?

6. I take it this is a (bad) wah or you are seriously brain damaged.

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I suspect that this lad will be sent to the workshops to sign out some K9P fairly regularly......

8. Someone has been feeding you tripe my man! It is not a battle honour. The reason you see them with a smart bow on the back of the beret is just a dress thing. It looks smarter than the one that it comes with or looks better than just cutting it off. They sell them in Dubora for about fifty pence.

This must be a Wah or you need help my son!

NC

9. It's so that your NCO can come out with the ancient and tedious witicism that
    "You're not in the Foreign Legion now lad!"
    And order you to go and cut it off.

10. Deadly Homer is so going to be used and abused, if he thinks the way he does, i didnt know for years i had a Para battle honour, and i didnt have to go Airborne to get it.

11. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Er, not quite so wah.

Not a battle honour per se, but the black bow is a mark of respect to all the men from the Reg who have fallen over the years. As far as I'm aware, this is why it's only seen on those with a Para Reg capbadge, rather than all airborne units or 16AA soldiers.

Sure The_Duke can tell you more than I can.

12. So does that apply to all Regiments, never heard that before, seeing we had black bows and as i said we arent airborne, thought it was just a thing for tightening your beret so to speak

13. Why would my very un-Para like Scaley beret have the same thing in it then (until I removed it because it looks gay)?

14. Wrong Wrong Wrong... At most 16 AAB units especially at Colchester they wear them.

15. Its a bow,not a battle honour nor a remembrance motif, its a bow which comes in all berets dating back to at least pre-ww2, the airborne beret ive got here given to me by an Arnhem vet has it, its just a bow.