Paras basic training

Offa

War Hero
From what I have been told, locker trashing was binned years ago.
This was back in 1966 at Maida Barracks. Locker could go out of window, so could bed block, come to attention on manky razor, chase your mug if it wasn't clean...oh, and don't forget the 'regimental scrubbing' for unfortunates with really heaving personal cleanliness. All good clean (and I mean clean) fun. We thought it was part of selection, if you couldn't hack that, you walked. I still do all my own ironing, (all A4 size), my wife apparently still doesn't have the skill.

I guess what I'm saying is was there anything you guys wished you learned before you started basic?
Avoid disappointment. Go 'ugly' early.
Don't waste ALL of your money on alcohol. The month gets very boring towards the end.
The Corps you join may not be the Corps you leave at the end of your service.
Look after your own knees, hearing, and teeth. Nobody else will.
The graffito "Catterick's a dump." was written by a bloke from the Legio IXth (Hispana).

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Is it only 2 courses per year?
No, they usually run an intake each month, for further information contact either your local careers office or else contact the national recruiting centre via the career website.

Dad 7419

Swinger
No, they usually run an intake each month, for further information contact either your local careers office or else contact the national recruiting centre via the career website.
Cheers Bobby. Unfortunately the civvies at Careers Office seem to lack knowledge or motivation. Its for my son's application. I saw something that said only 2 Para courses per year, but just wanted clarification. Every month seems far too many for a niche Regiment.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Cheers Bobby. Unfortunately the civvies at Careers Office seem to lack knowledge or motivation. Its for my son's application. I saw something that said only 2 Para courses per year, but just wanted clarification. Every month seems far too many for a niche Regiment.
Quite the opposite. PARA REG is an incredibly popular choice and consistently recruits very well.

If your son wants further information he can email the Parachute Regiment recruitment team directly on

Recruiting@theparachuteregiment.com Or give them a call on 01206 817083

Best of luck to your cub.

Last edited: