Paras basic training

Hi I've passed through PRAC and was due to start basic for the paras in March, however due to the virus all intakes got cut and I'm currently waiting for a new date for when I start. I have been training like hell everyday to be prepared for it and feel confident with my fitness. I was thinking about doing some crash courses online about map reading or anything that can give me a edge for training, is that Something you guys would recommed or not bother with it? I guess what I'm saying is was there anything you guys wished you learned before you started basic? Ive flown over from australia to be a para and I really want to smash through training.
(Of course I know you can never be too fit for basic and I will continue to train hard, just asking for any extra tips. All the recruiters just say "you need to be able to run fast" and that's about it)
Cheers

Faded

Clanker
One of the best things you can do is learn to iron and fold clothing, it's what you'll be doing a lot of in the early stages and is completely underestimated by everyone as to how hard it can be!

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
full series. mag to grid get rid :) yes map reading. shame about this corona thing because a bit of orienteering might have been positive for your fitness and map reading

full series. mag to grid get rid :) yes map reading. shame about this corona thing because a bit of orienteering might have been positive for your fitness and map reading
Magnetic N and Grid N are currently in the same place. Mag to Grid = do nothing...

One of the best things you can do is learn to iron and fold clothing, it's what you'll be doing a lot of in the early stages and is completely underestimated by everyone as to how hard it can be!
... and thank **** you don't have to make duvet packs and polish the carpet 'till 2am.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Continue to train and maintain your phys in a safe manner. There are many exercises you can do at home during lockdown that will help you maintain and improve your fitness, including body weight exercises such as: squats, press ups, plank, burpees, sit-ups, pull ups, dips and lunges etc. You can also utilise your 60 minute window for outdoor phys by going out for a steady state run or interval session in an open space.

Research what you can about the Parachute Regiment. Explore the history of the regiment and airborne forces.

Get in the habit, if you aren’t already, of doing all
your own admin (ironing etc) and maintaining high personal standards. The better prepared you are the slightly less daunting training will be but ultimately don’t overthink it.

Enjoy & good luck.

Last edited:

Ken M

Clanker
Keep fit, but don't overdo it. You don't want to pitch up at Catterick carrying an injury, even minor. You're being eyeballed by staff the minute you step through the door. They're looking for weakness , physical and mental. Right from the offski. :rolleyes:

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Magnetic N and Grid N are currently in the same place. Mag to Grid = do nothing...
yes & no. depends where you are & when. Interesting though. I never knew this so your post is relevent to the OP, however i would suggest he still learns the old rule.

Offa

War Hero
Continue to train and maintain your phys in a safe manner. There are many exercises you can do at home during lockdown that will help you maintain and improve your fitness, including body weight exercises such as: squats, press ups, plank, burpees, sit-ups, pull ups, dips and lunges etc. You can also utilise your 60 minute window for outdoor phys by going out for a steady state run or interval session in an open space.

Research what you can about the Parachute Regiment. Explore the history of the regiment and airborne forces.

your own admin (ironing etc) and maintaining high personal standards. The better prepared you are the slightly less daunting training will be but ultimately don’t overthink it.

Enjoy & good luck.
Excellent advice, particularly about regimental history. That will be required to pass off the square (or used to be).

Noted, I've just gave YouTube a look and there's a ton of vids on folding and ironing army style, I'll be putting that into my routine for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Ideal, this is exactly what I had in mind thanks for sharing. I'm lucky enough to be working and living on a farm so I have plenty of space to do orienteering on my days off. Cheers

Get hold of some uniform.
Iron, iron, iron until its second nature and you can get it right first time every time. Some guys can polish boots already, transferable skill... You iron his kit to an immaculate standard, he bulls your boots the same.

Ideal, this is exactly what I had in mind thanks for sharing. I'm lucky enough to be working and living on a farm so I have plenty of space to do orienteering on my days off. Cheers
If you're able to get hold of Amazon deliveries then this book is very good for the theory of map and compass navigation - - the Kindle edition is five quid.

There's no substitute for practice but that book gets across the basics in a very clear way.

Learn to sow things neatly and properly. There wan't always be a tailor around to do it, and you will need to sow on your wings, that first tape, and more importantly, the little black bow on the back of your Maroon Beret. Its a skill I wish I learnt, the most I could do was sew on buttons.

The army used to issue a 'Housewife' but I had to sack mine as she was useless. Just used to sit in the back of my locker and do nothing. It was easier to do it myself.

Enjoy & good luck.
There isn't a Coronavirus restriction on exercise outdoors either the time per session or times per day or what you do or where.

Interesting because those FAQ's are different to the law.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

statutory instrument 350

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave [F7or be outside of] the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

May contain useful phys trg hints & tips.

Latest Threads