Paras and Taliban Kiss and Make Up?!!?

Have I got this one right or am I being distracted by Gordan Yellow just now bottling out of a General Election?

Guardian, 6 October 2007

The whole of one of the army's most elite regiments, supported by the RAF's latest fighter bombers, is to be sent to Afghanistan in a military operation unprecedented since the second world war.

For the first time since 1945, all three regular battalions of the Parachute Regiment - about 2,000 troops - will be deployed for combat. The Eurofighter/Typhoon, equipped with new missiles for a ground attack role, will be deployed for the first time in a hostile mission.

New Merlin helicopters from an RAF squadron formed this week will also be sent to the region.

The plan, being drawn up by the chiefs of staff, reflects the government's concern over the failure to win a decisive victory against the Taliban. Tomorrow marks the sixth anniversary of the first American and British missile strikes on Afghanistan in retaliation for the 9/11 attacks on the US, yet Nato-led forces are no closer to beating the Taliban, Nato commanders believe....

........While Britain prepares to increase its military commitment to Afghanistan, senior Nato commanders are making it clear they are increasingly concerned about the restrictions -"caveats" - on the operations and movements that some countries, including Germany and the Netherlands, impose on their forces in Afghanistan. "Restrictions on operations are having profound consequences," said one Nato commander.
Swiss Des, 1 October 2007

Des Browne, the defence secretary, told a fringe meeting at the Labour party conference last week that the Taliban would have to be involved in a peace process "because they are not going away any more than I suspect Hamas are going away from Palestine".
I'm too dumb to figure this out myself, but is the above a good example of "joined up government" and will the Paras be allowed to operate as trained or will the crack team of Nu Labour PC lawyers be backing them up at every stage and will they be properly equipped for task or will there be short term budget deficiencies channeling funds to remfs instead of guys taking the pain (unless Yellow Gordie calls it all off at the last minute)? And when can we stop being polite about our NATO allies who hide when it gets dark and don't have to be resupplied with ammunition?

More happy days ahead pals!!

8) 8) JOKE< AND WITH THE WINTER COMING :wink: :wink: FOR SUCH A THIS YOU WOULD NEED FRESH TROOP BACK UP AND THE ONLY THE TALIBAN HAVE THAT AFTER THEIR WINTER BUILD UP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

beaver_boy said:
Have I got this one right or am I being distracted by Gordan Yellow just now bottling out of a General Election?

Guardian, 6 October 2007

The whole of one of the army's most elite regiments, supported by the RAF's latest fighter bombers, is to be sent to Afghanistan in a military operation unprecedented since the second world war.

For the first time since 1945, all three regular battalions of the Parachute Regiment - about 2,000 troops - will be deployed for combat. The Eurofighter/Typhoon, equipped with new missiles for a ground attack role, will be deployed for the first time in a hostile mission.

New Merlin helicopters from an RAF squadron formed this week will also be sent to the region.

The plan, being drawn up by the chiefs of staff, reflects the government's concern over the failure to win a decisive victory against the Taliban. Tomorrow marks the sixth anniversary of the first American and British missile strikes on Afghanistan in retaliation for the 9/11 attacks on the US, yet Nato-led forces are no closer to beating the Taliban, Nato commanders believe....

........While Britain prepares to increase its military commitment to Afghanistan, senior Nato commanders are making it clear they are increasingly concerned about the restrictions -"caveats" - on the operations and movements that some countries, including Germany and the Netherlands, impose on their forces in Afghanistan. "Restrictions on operations are having profound consequences," said one Nato commander.
Swiss Des, 1 October 2007

Des Browne, the defence secretary, told a fringe meeting at the Labour party conference last week that the Taliban would have to be involved in a peace process "because they are not going away any more than I suspect Hamas are going away from Palestine".
I'm too dumb to figure this out myself, but is the above a good example of "joined up government"will the Paras be allowed to operate as trained or will the crack team of Nu Labour PC lawyers be backing them up at every stage and will they be properly equipped for task and or will there be short term budget deficiencies channeling funds to remfs instead of guys taking the pain (unless Yellow Gordie calls it all off at the last minute)? And when can we stop being polite about our NATO allies who hide when it gets dark and don't have to be resupplied with ammunition?

More happy days ahead pals!!
Yes, the crack team of lawyers will be properly equiped with no expense spared!

So they're sending the eurofighter to the stan in the air-to-ground role then? Thats great news! Considering the jets not confgured for that roll yet and isnt due until tranch 4 or the older ones are retrofitted!

its got some air to ground capability i.e. more than harrier but not the whole package

A lot of the weapons currently arent cleared for use,a lot of existing airframes are not ground attack capable (not required in tranch 1 & 2 i believe) & crews not trained in that role.

Probably the ones we had to ask the Dutch(i think) for!!!

Danish, we bought them and then did them up. Not sure why the Danish weren't using them, too much money to make up to date?

The Merlin has already performed well on operations in Iraq. These six helicopters are brand new aircraft originally purchased by Denmark, the last of which were delivered in January this year. They have not, however, entered operational service with the Danes. The UK has agreed in principle with the Danish Government and AgustaWestland that the Merlins will be transferred to the UK. Denmark will then receive six additional aircraft from AgustaWestland. We are grateful to the Danish Government for this agreement, which demonstrates once more the strong link between our two NATO nations.