Paras after AFC Harrogate

NCLRD123

Crow
Hi,
I'm hoping to start AFC Harrogate in September 2019, my order of choice for regiments is Paras first, Rifles second and then lastly Signals. I have been told that if I was to pass out of Harrogate as a trainee Para and I don't pass the Para course I get booted out without no other option. How true is this? Can I not just go to my second regiment of choice if I fail the Paras course? Also, is it wiser to go to Rifles first then after however long, transfer into the Paras?

Many Thanks

No, if you fail P Company, then you can transfer to the Riles, Signals or whoever else you decide is right. Even if you fail the jumps, you can still transfer.

Good luck whatever you decide.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi,
I'm hoping to start AFC Harrogate in September 2019, my order of choice for regiments is Paras first, Rifles second and then lastly Signals. I have been told that if I was to pass out of Harrogate as a trainee Para and I don't pass the Para course I get booted out without no other option. How true is this? Can I not just go to my second regiment of choice if I fail the Paras course? Also, is it wiser to go to Rifles first then after however long, transfer into the Paras?

Many Thanks
There was a trainee Para thing on TV a few months ago. Exactly this happened. Lad failed (can't now remember at exactly which stage), went Rifles, passed out Best Recruit.

Para depot failures are taken away and never seen again.

I'm not making any claims but the passing out parade BBQ is never short of sausages.

Hi,

Many Thanks
Why not also get your head into learning about para history and prepare yourself mentally and physically, it certainly doesn't look a walk in the park.

4 months of beasting yourself and pushing your body to the limits will see you don't need to look at the 2nd choice.

Best of luck

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I'm not making any claims but the passing out parade BBQ is never short of sausages.
Still only allowed one though! :D

Any left feed the QM's dog! :cat:

Jammy66

War Hero
You might not be able to transfer if you fail the jump because you forgot to pull the cord........

May as well go for what you ideally want with the other choices as back up.

NCLRD123

Crow

So I couldn't even transfer to Rifles? Because If I passed out of Harrogate, surely I would have shown the capabilities of normal infantry soldiering?

So I couldn't even transfer to Rifles? Because If I passed out of Harrogate, surely I would have shown the capabilities of normal infantry soldiering?
Hazarding a guess, I think that post was very tongue-in-cheek.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi,

Many Thanks
Make the most of your time between now and AFC; get fit - really get fit - too many people don't realise how fit they really need to be; attend an open day and ask these questions, school exams soon, do the best you can, it will make life downstream in the Army and afterwards better! Good luck

Does that mean you can have more than one?

Para's and rifles, one is airborne infantry, the other infantry, when you come out the best you might aspire to is drive a truck, be a bouncer, or run a pub, now signals, engineers or REME a trade corps, in which you can learn a trade which will set you up for your inevitable discharge into civilian life, Electrician, radio technician, vehicle mechanic, etc., as all soldiers irrespective of regiment or trade, are trained in the basics of infantry skills, the added bonus is the enhanced trade pay, you will need a trade skill on discharge to survive the real world outside the military bubble, jumping out of aircraft is fine, killing the queens enemies is a noble vocation, unfortunately, in the real world, there's not a lot of scope for such luxuries. get a trade, you know it makes sense.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Hi,

Many Thanks
Look at it like this. You'll need to be fairly fit for every Army role. You have to be very fit to be a para.

Basic training for a potential trade role is hard.

Basic training for an infantry role is exhausting.

Basic training at P Coy is brutal.

So get fit.

Then get fitter.

The_Duke

LE
Para's and rifles, one is airborne infantry, the other infantry, when you come out the best you might aspire to is drive a truck, be a bouncer, or run a pub, now signals, engineers or REME a trade corps, in which you can learn a trade which will set you up for your inevitable discharge into civilian life, Electrician, radio technician, vehicle mechanic, etc., as all soldiers irrespective of regiment or trade, are trained in the basics of infantry skills, the added bonus is the enhanced trade pay, you will need a trade skill on discharge to survive the real world outside the military bubble, jumping out of aircraft is fine, killing the queens enemies is a noble vocation, unfortunately, in the real world, there's not a lot of scope for such luxuries. get a trade, you know it makes sense.
Don’t pay too much attention to this. Do what you want to in the army. Your life afterwards is by no means defined by what you did in a set of camouflaged pyjamas.

Being in the infantry does not condemn you to a life of low paid manual labour. A small selection of ex privates and NCOs I served with includes the financial industry ( including stints in Asia), IT consultancy services, cyber security, logistics and security managers (global, not Morrisons) etc.

Any that went on to driving or door security jobs did so because they wanted to, or that was all they were intellectually capable of. If that doesn’t apply to you, neither does the quoted post.

Don’t pay too much attention to this. Do what you want to in the army. Your life afterwards is by no means defined by what you did in a set of camouflaged pyjamas.

Being in the infantry does not condemn you to a life of low paid manual labour. A small selection of ex privates and NCOs I served with includes the financial industry ( including stints in Asia), IT consultancy services, cyber security, logistics and security managers (global, not Morrisons) etc.

Any that went on to driving or door security jobs did so because they wanted to, or that was all they were intellectually capable of. If that doesn’t apply to you, neither does the quoted post.
Well said.

Latest Threads