Paranoid site question

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by biscuits, Jun 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scanning the list of users currently logged on, I see at the bottom "10 hidden"

I am also subconsciously aware of a hidden forum.

I also know that on ARRSE there are some groups in existance, yet there are no links or buttons to take you to them.

Who are these masked strangers? Who leads these secretive groups? What is their dark purpose?

These may well be cases of "If you have to ask, you're not influential enough to be told", but I'm a firm believer in "There's no such thing as a stupid question". :wink:
  2. Anyone can choose to hide themselves - it's an option in your profile.

As for the secret groups, you're not paranoid, everybody hates you! :p :D
  3. Biscuits,
    There is no need to be paranoid. Do not log off. Remain by your computer. One of our consultants will be with you shortly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The military equivalent to Opus Di, guarding the Army Holy Grail, a secret so powerful it could destroy the armed forces.

"There is no truth in the rumour that the army is broke!" Honest! :p
  5. I've tried exploring this one a couple of times too biscuits. The deletion of my posts by the MODs was almost instantaneous though so congrats on getting over the first hurdle. Can't see you getting a satisfactory answer though...
  6. 8O

OOH! Me sphincter's a-twitching!! :donut:

And DB, you may hate me, but you want me as well! Thats why you feel so unclean! :wink:
  7. There are now 13 hidden.

8. Just to feed your paranoia, if you look at the 'who is where' column, if you click next to the individuals ID, for example on biscuits>Forums. you can see the forum they are looking at, even better, you can see if they are typing a post, before they post it.
  9. And that is why I have joined the hidden minority :D
  10. Biccies, anyone can choose to hide their "online status" if you do so, instead of appearing in the list of who is online, you will be added to the "hidden" list.
    Simple as that! Put the Bacofoil back before your mum slaps your legs. :wink:
  11. I don't understand why people log on in hidden mode but it doesn't bother me really. I can see what you mean though about it possibly being related to attendance at the ******* *** (not allowed to write that in clear.....). The private club(s) which apparently run in the backroom of ARRSE are what bother me. Why are they necessary? If people want to do that then fine but it could also be achieved by club members logging in to a MSN chat session. The apparent existence of private areas for 'select' users is unnecessary and adds an extra tier to a forum which, in my opinion, shouldn't need one.
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

You can change your status to 'hidden' in your preferences, it's not something worth worrying about. I use hidden to try and pretend that I have a life and am not online at some ungodly hour.

The 'secretive groups' are another thing altogether. There are a number of hidden forums that are only visible to those who are members. Membership tends to be by invitation only and they show up on the forums page if you are signed up. You can tell if anyone has a group membership by looking at their profile page.

It's not a conspiracy, just saves us cluttering up the main page with stuff that would be of limited interest.

Edit: And tinfoil is quite cheap at Tesco at the moment.
  13. I thought it was a cunning ploy to disguise the fact (say, for instance, if your username had been sussed) that you are sat around reading ARRSE all day instead of working.....
  14. Like world domination and **** stretching!

Anyway, its nearly 1500, so I'm off home, out of reach of your thought scanners.