Paramedic - CMT vs. MSO

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, so hi!

I'm nearly qualified as a Paramedic, working for WMAS when I finish university and have been looking at joining the military for a while now.

Straight to the point - I've done a fair bit of research in to the roles of CMT and MSO and I'm a bit torn between the two. Ultimately, what I'm planning for is something that will be good experience and will open up opportunities in the future. I've seen a few jobs (e.g.: oil rig, close protection, etc.) where the soldier role would be helpful but then the qualifications / experience from being an officer would be good for promotion in the ambulance service.

I've not got any military experience so all I know is what I've read on military websites and have been told at careers offices.

Anybody got any experience with either of these paths and able to advise on which route to go?

Cheers

Be very careful.....In either role, you'll not have sufficient patient contact, autonomy or CPD to support your very hard won registration. In the current climate within the military, you risk losing it by signing on.
My advice to all paramedics is not to sign on until the military formally recognize the profession, and put in place sufficient infrastructure to support it.
If you really do feel the need to get all green and dirty, sign on but not in a medical unit. Join the reserves (TA) in one of the teeth arms such as the infantry. The RIFLES are a mighty fine jolly bunch of go getters, and that will hold you in very good sted in the future.

Hi Sundog,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to say but it would be a reserves role - dont want to lose that reg! I've looked at the RAF Reserves but I would start out as a RAF Medic and after 2 years, I could then apply to work as a RAF Paramedic but I get the impression the chances of being accepted are pretty slim due to competition. Do you know much about the RAF Medic role? I spoke to a RAF careers bloke who said it would involve working on a helicopter under a nurse which sounds pretty good but the website describes more like a HCA role?

I'll have a look in to what the rifles do, there's a unit round the corner from me so that would be ideal.

Yep, 4626 sqn based at Brize.
ALL, and I repeat ALL Paramedics at 4626 are RAF Medics. There is no specific RAF trade of Paramedic.
Despite the fact that the sqn actively recruit qualified paramedics for their MERT role amongst other things, the RAF trade role is only RAF Medic.
Further to that, you'll be a junior rank, eventually climbing to the lofty heights of Cpl - which incidentally is the rank held by fully qualified RAF Medics (the equivalent to an Army CMT1). So, look in for all of the fun and games that comes with being a J/R.
Of course other professions such as Nursing etc, are commisionable, despite the vast majority having little or no pre-hospital experience, or for that matter the same mind set required to work in the shite storm that is a Paramedics 'office'. Oh! they'll be in charge of you. Just thought I'd mention that.

So, sign on if you must, but be very careful who you choose.

I still think The RIFLES would be a good move. I very much suspect that once the head sheds at Bn HQ find out you're a Paramedic, they'll use your skills accordingly.
Give it a year post qual, and do your offshore medics course at Notts Uni. That, in combination with your Para ticket and infantry training, should set you up nicely for the future.
Don't forget the soft skills. Get your PTLLS done. That way you can teach if you get smashed.

Last edited:
All RAF paramedics on 4626 Sqn are Medical Assistants, as Sundog points out. They also undertake aeromedical evacuation training to qualify as Flight Medics.

Flight medics work alongside MOs and Flight Nurses as part of an aeromed team. Aeromed is a team effort, and I'd put aside thoughts that it's an HCA-type role. The Flight Medic is often team leader, with substantial responsibility, though nurses will generally have a larger clinical role on strategic aeromed flights. During tactical aeromed medics and nurses will often have very similar roles. I have never met a single MERT nurse or paramedic who thought paramedics played second fiddle.

There are promotion possibilities as a RAF Medical Assistant, though promotion tends to be slower than in the Army (though RAF can serve to age 55), and opportunities to commission as a regular or reservist at any point. The current 2i/c Tac Med Wg is a MSO who started out as a medic - we were in Phase 1 and 2 together, and another of our intake is now a Gp Capt MSO. The commissioned head of the RAF paramedic cadre is a paramedic. Plenty of Cpl medics have commissioned as RAuxAF MSOs. As an MSO, though, you won't be doing clinical work.

Finally, the RAuxAF are much more closely integrated with the regulars than the Army Reserve. RAuxAF flight medics undertake aeromed flights all the time alongside regular colleagues.

CMT and Flight medic are different roles, each with advantages and disadvantages. My advice would be to go and talk to 4626 Sqn and your local RIFLES unit; have a look round and get a feel for what they do and how they do it.

mandownmedic

Old-Salt
CMT or MSO - WTF!?!
Stacking tents or counting tents with a clipboard?
Try Compare the Meercat for career advice

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, so hi!

I'm nearly qualified as a Paramedic, working for WMAS when I finish university and have been looking at joining the military for a while now.

Straight to the point - I've done a fair bit of research in to the roles of CMT and MSO and I'm a bit torn between the two. Ultimately, what I'm planning for is something that will be good experience and will open up opportunities in the future. I've seen a few jobs (e.g.: oil rig, close protection, etc.) where the soldier role would be helpful but then the qualifications / experience from being an officer would be good for promotion in the ambulance service.

I've not got any military experience so all I know is what I've read on military websites and have been told at careers offices.

Anybody got any experience with either of these paths and able to advise on which route to go?

Cheers

Sounds like you need to work out what you want in life, Pal.

Latest Threads