Parachuting

Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere where a civvie can safely and cheaply learn to parachute. Also, is there a course that anyone would recommend?

It's something I've always wanted to do but I have no knowledge of what to look for in a centre offering courses and don't know anyone who parachutes. May have some time off coming up in a month or two and if possible want to have a crack at doing things on my wish list....

Cheers.

P.S. It's just a case that at the moment whenever I'm on a plane and there's even a hint of turbulence I'm sat there secretly hoping I'll get to go on the slide :D ....not suicidal just faintly mad I think!

Most civvy parachute clubs run a scheme where you raise a certain amount for charridee and that takes care of your course fees, or at least they used to.

Back when I was young and stupid and was organising these couses, a static line jumps course using RAPS cost about £125. Probably a bit more now, depending on location. First jump course can be done in a day but being in the UK the weather can cause problems. British Parachute Association will point you in the right direction:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/progress.htm

I was going to recommend the BPA website but Civvy_Shot beat me to it. When I did an AT sky-diving course with the Royal Marines years ago at Lympstone, BPA membership was mandatory. I think this was for insurance purposes.

if you want to learn to skydive its better to do it abroad ie ,USA or spain and do a AFF course its cheaper and the weather is a lot better

skymacuk said:
if you want to learn to skydive its better to do it abroad ie ,USA or spain and do a AFF course its cheaper and the weather is a lot better
See my link above. They're in Holland, run AFF and military static line courses or wingsuits for the real head cases out there.