Parachuting

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Anon1, Sep 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere where a civvie can safely and cheaply learn to parachute. Also, is there a course that anyone would recommend?

It's something I've always wanted to do but I have no knowledge of what to look for in a centre offering courses and don't know anyone who parachutes. May have some time off coming up in a month or two and if possible want to have a crack at doing things on my wish list....

Cheers.

P.S. It's just a case that at the moment whenever I'm on a plane and there's even a hint of turbulence I'm sat there secretly hoping I'll get to go on the slide :D ....not suicidal just faintly mad I think!

2. Safely, yes, cheaply, no.

3. Alright then...not so cheaply, but prob have to do it in the further rather than nearer future. Safety first.

4. Most civvy parachute clubs run a scheme where you raise a certain amount for charridee and that takes care of your course fees, or at least they used to.

Back when I was young and stupid and was organising these couses, a static line jumps course using RAPS cost about £125. Probably a bit more now, depending on location. First jump course can be done in a day but being in the UK the weather can cause problems. British Parachute Association will point you in the right direction:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/progress.htm

5. I did my jumps at Sibson near Peterborough and thought it was a good course.

6. I was going to recommend the BPA website but Civvy_Shot beat me to it. When I did an AT sky-diving course with the Royal Marines years ago at Lympstone, BPA membership was mandatory. I think this was for insurance purposes.

7. if you want to learn to skydive its better to do it abroad ie ,USA or spain and do a AFF course its cheaper and the weather is a lot better

8. See my link above. They're in Holland, run AFF and military static line courses or wingsuits for the real head cases out there.

9. ABMP jump there as well as in Estonia for the more advanced stuff.

http://www.abmp.freeserve.co.uk/