parachuting - some bone questions

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by arby, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,

decided to take up skydiving as I need a new project and Im struggling to get a full view of what's required.

Ive booked my first static line RAPS jump, which includes the 6-8hrs training, then it seems after that I do a further 5 static line jumps, covering several competencies (sp?) then progess to freefall. is this right? Ive read the categories infor BPA, is it one jump per category or am I required to do more for different competencies?

thanks in advance.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Depends how you do with your static jumps - I was shoite 'cos I was way out of my comfort zone - took me quite a while to progress to freefall :oops:
    I never did/had to do a tandem jump though, but things might have changed...

More info here:
  3. Are you doing it at Netheravon? You get a big services discount if you do, so you might want to consider it - plus they have accomodation or, if you can't get that, you can camp right next to the parachute hangar. Luxury. ;)

Contact details:

Capt R DURIE (Robin)

The Army Parachute Assn

Airfield Camp
    Wilts SP4 9SF

Tel: (94321) 8250 Fax: 8275

4. cheers Alsacien, how many jumps did it take you to progress, just to get a rough idea?
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Check your PM's :oops:
  6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

If you can do it, save your pennies and do AFF - much quicker and much more fun. There are always numerous expeds going overseas (California is popular). I started off on static line and got seriously bored with it very quickly. Always hanging around waiting for either a full lift of students or the bloody wind to drop. Shelled out the necessary for AFF and never looked back!
  7. I jumped a few times at Netheravon and took a few student courses down as well - great bunch of lads, very tolerant of the weekend studenty types and their daft questions. There are some good civvy clubs around, depends on your location. I found the weather was one of the biggest pains in the UK - you'd travel down to wherever, and then sit around while it rained - not great for progression. (And the fact that I was cack, of course).

If I remember correctly (and it's been a few years), you do X static line jumps at 3500', once the boss is happy then 3 (?) with Dummy Pull still on static line, then increasing delay freefall. They do fly a bit higher once the delay increases!

If you're flush, there's Advanced Free Fall, where the training is much more intense and your first jump is a full monty 10,000' with a skygod either side of you. Does cost more, but if you're well keen it'll get you up the categories faster than going through the static line progression.

Edit - beat me to it :roll:
  8. I should have said to call the chap in my post, and I would also say AFF is the way to go. Avoids static line and with a military discount it isn't excruciatingly painful to pay for.
  9. sadly Im up in Jockland but there's two pretty well respected clubs near by. So the overall concensus is stay away from static?

thanks gents.
  10. I would still say it's worth doing one S/L jump to see if it's really what you want to do before shelling out/doing the AFF training.

I reckon of the novices I took down to do their first S/L Charity jump, some cacked themselves and ran away screaming vowing never to fly again, some kept going for at least a few jumps and then got bored with poor weather and jacked it in, a strange few went 'OK, that was nice' and went to try something else, and only a small percentage went on to become a hairy arrssed skydiver.
  11. I have a sneaking suspicion I may be of the "kept going for at least a few jumps and then got bored with poor weather and jacked it in" variety, but we'll see.
  12. Don't worry, I was one of those cacking themselves most of the time! :D
  13. In my experience (1300+ jumps in 6 countries over 15 years), those that qualify through the progression system, ie starting on S/L and working up through D/P and progressively longer freefalls are more likely to stay in the sport and are generally more in-air aware.

Those that qualify through AFF tend to do skydiving this year, have already done skiing, will be doing scuba next year, extreme mountain biking the year after. They see AFF as a way of ticking off another extreme sport and saying "oh yeah, I'm a qualified skydiver too".

I've spent longer in freefall than they've spent driving to the DZ.

Rant over. I'll go back to my trainset now.
  14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Interesting point of view that I don't think stands up to scrutiny. I've jumped with both and can't say I've noticed any difference but hey, if that's what you want to think, crack on. I stuck at it for a few years (I did AFF!), organised expeds, became the secretary of our association and even got involved with demos, etc. However, I left the sport eventually because I grew increasingly disillusioned with certain individuals and the general way that the Army Parachute Association was run at the time. Get a bunch of like-minded people together and skydiving is huge fun, get involved with some of the throbbers who run it and be prepared to get messed around.

My rant over!

I forgot to add, your last comment was fairly typical of some of the attitudes that were prevalent at Nethers.
  15. Miaow!!