Parachuting as opposed to Para Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Rincewind, Feb 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arrse'rs

i need a new hobby as biking is now out the window but danger element is required...

so tell me about flinging yourself out of a serviceable airframe.

how do you get into it (now i am outside the forces), what kit do you need and how much does it all cost?

is it worth it?

Rincewind

2. I did it for many years (as my Avtar suggests). In my day you had to do long basic courses then progress through static line, to short free fall before the complicated stuff over many jumps. Nowadays the accelerated free fall scheme does exactly what it says on the tin and gets you qualifed to jump sport canopies very quickly - but it is expensive.

I would suggest you go for a tandem jump (strapped to an instructor) to get a taste for it; you will scream blue murder, love it and want to do more or you will hate it.

Over time it is quite pricey and you tend to spend your spare moments hanging around DZs for a long time. One of the reasons I stopped doing it was because it wasn't family friendly and I couldn't justify coming off exercises and ops then going away for weekends to go skydiving - but it is a great sport with some top people (you also get your fair share of walts etc but its the same with any hobby).

Good luck

MB

3. thanks, i am a big guy - 17 stone and 6'2" - can i still try tandem?

is there a national website for these nutters?

Rincewind

4. Rincewind,
    http://www.bpa.org.uk/

use this link to find out info of your nearest dz etc. I did the Accelerated Freefall Course (AFF)
    Expensive but well worth it.

I would say to try an AFF level 1 jump first, then if you wish to proceed you can.

Just don't land in the Ankh Morpork river!

5. Rincewind
    You can also do military style jumps (round canopy, static line, Standup exits,with or without weapons containers etc 2000ft ) run by some ex paras
    PM if your interested

6. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Why the feck would you want to do that? At 2k you get to drift RIGHT off-course - you might as well strap 100lb of scrap metal to your leg, drink a bottle of Bells, stand up for 30 minutes in the dark, spin round a broom handle 100 times and and jump out of a second story window. For the added realism of a bde jump, get a couple of similarly kitted out gurhkas to jump out of adjacent windows at the same time to see if they can land on you. Then get your wife to push a pallet of bricks off the roof above you to simulate crab-air getting their grids wrong and thinking you're the heavy DZ.

Pay for that? Feck off.

Rincewind - skydiving is an amazing sport but it demands total commitment - ie sitting on DZs for days waiting for the wind to drop or clouds to part. It eats leave and free-time whole. If you're single it's fantastic as the social life comes with the package - and a phenominal number of young nubile women skydive. If you're married then she needs to be very understanding - as in 'I can fill my time fecking my spanish Salsa dancing instructor while you skydive' understanding

7. For the best of both worlds, you can pick up your Dutch para wings jumping static-line from an old Antonov, and then progress to sport skydiving.

www.paracentrumtexel.nl

Edited to add: You may have to lay off the Ginsters though, as max weight is 100kg which puts you about 8kg over the limit. :wink:

8. These guys can organise a course at Texel and other DZs for you Military style

http://www.pathfindergroupuk.com/

9. If you do your tandem, enjoy it and want to carry on, think about taking a course run by BPA instructors overseas. You will get a holiday in Spain / Portugal / the US out of it and as the weather is better you can crack on and get your initial training out of the way, and a few consolidation jumps as well. The BPA may get a slagging off for being a bit conservative and fuddy duddy, but having seen the results of the alternative systems in place here in the US, British is best.

If you go the overseas route choose an instructor / course that can introduce you to a DZ or two back in the UK so you can carry on jumping / getting coaching with people you know.

For the costs of gear have a butchers at Dropzone.com. The things that are essential are a main container, reserve and main parachutes, jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter and as a low number jumper in the UK an AAD - how much you pay depends on how 'fashionable' you want to be but expect to shell out several thousand pounds over and above the cost of your course. There is no need to buy straight away, you can hire kit easily enough at DZ's so you can experiment a bit to see what you like.

Is it worth it - it is very different buzz to cutting through traffic on a motorbike, but just as reward - I have been jumping for 13 years and still love it.

10. Ok RTFQ thanks for the honnest answer

1st - i am a salad dodger - so i think i will have to shed some weight before i can apply
    2nd - witht he costs involved i think i need to wait until my insurance money comes through in approx 12 months
    3rd - i can wear wings on my RN 1s :)

(although i dint understand this weight thing - when soldiers jump with like 90Kg of kit plus body weight = how can there be a limit?)

Rincewind

11. Magic - more intel i was after. and you my septic shagging friend have answered it.

Rincewind

12. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Don't get me wrong mate - I'm not trying to put you off at all, it's just that skydiving is a 'pastime' in the same way as biking - you live and breathe it and commit to it if you want to be good.

Some big feckers skydive - but you need to be fit and supple.

It's about £250 for a Tandem with a gucci video. No-one will mind if you just rock up to a DZ on a saturday morning and ask to talk to one of the AFF/WARP instructors about entering the sport. You can watch some landings, see some videos, chat to some of the jumpers and students and see if you like the sound of it. There'll be eye candy too. How well they treat you will also be a good indication of how good the DZ is - if they're friendly and willing to answer all your questions honestly then it'll probably be a good DZ. If you need help finding your nearest one then PM me.

13. Rince,

Military parachutists dont have to land with their equipment container still attached to them, it is unclipped from the harness and lowered on a line prior to landing. Sadly, your "fuel tank for a sex machine" is permanantly attached, and could well feck you up when you make contact with terra firma.

14. If you can find a skinny midget as a Tandem master you might be okay, but even if you do and enjoy the experience you are going to have to shed a few (okay a lot) pounds before a Service centre is going to put you on a course.