Parachuting a tank with the crew inside?

Just a few things that could go wrong:

IIRC we(the brits) did some trials(mid to late 60's) with sliding various wheeled AFV's on some sledge type things out of the back of a Hercules as it was still flying but dragging it's arse on the ground, the end game was these vehicles would be crewed. Some of the trials involved Ferrets with crash test dummies in them, the injuries were so bad the idea was shelved.
ISTR that but in my mind’s eye it is CVRT doing the honours.

Just a few things that could go wrong:
I think there was an old Signals RR truck ejected.... I also think it was on auto-pilot as it disappeared off into the distance to have a well earned pint.

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm waiting for @meerkatz to give his opinion before I make my mind up.

551's normally broke standing still.
Yes and the Shillelagh missile system was shyte as well. It would have been worse if it had been dropped in the M551.

As an aside the UK disposed of quite a few Shylee missiles (The cousins don't do gaelic :))

Dead easy, innit.

You can even land them all on the same bit of road and pointing the right way.

When that came on, I offered to provide my anecdotes of a very different experience involving dropping a Landrover and trailer out of a C130, but no-one wanted to hear it.

Last edited:
I was airborne in a Transit van at Barry Buddon many moons ago when it fell off the road to Monifeith. It was a bit like what I imagine free-fall is like until I smashed my back against the roof. Twice.

A subconsciously muttered 'who's doing all that groaning' resolved itself shortly afterwards when I realised it was me.
Well that answers many questions

Oh, no, it isn't. 'The Army' have done some silly things occasionally, but 'The MoD' have done sillier, and 'The Government of the Day' have done silliest.
I'll go with that

Still think jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is a daft idea and then have a tank chucked out behind..........

Remember and old chum who left the Senior Service as a Commodore telling me much earlier in our days in Grey Funnel of a film he had been shown of a Russian tank and crew who had been involved in an experimental low level pallet extraction.

Pallet extracted from cargo plane, slides along the runway, comes to a halt. Tank engine running and it is now supposed to be released from pallet and charge away into action. Sits there with nothing happening.

When people investigate find whole tank crew dead. The impact and subsequent G forces had apparently ruptured major vessels to and from the heart, with massive internal bleeding and near instantaneous death.

When I was on a JAV cadre I remember being told the Russians had tried air dropping tanks with crew, result one tank full of dead men, remedy was push tank out first, then crew to follow

Have we never lobbed Scimitars from hercs then?
I thought the airborne had a HCR sqn attached that were all jump trained ?
Yes we have, I can remember CVRTs been lobbed along with guns, limbers etc back in the 80s when I first started mil parachuting. It was even briefly covered on an aerial delivery (rigging) course I did in 1990ish.

Yes we have, I can remember CVRTs been lobbed along with guns, limbers etc back in the 80s when I first started mil parachuting. It was even briefly covered on an aerial delivery (rigging) course I did in 1990ish.
I'll second that.

The Airdrop trials team (JADTEU) at RAF Brize Norton last airdropped CVR(T) Scimitar around 1996 on Ex PURPLE STAR. I taught a couple of HCR guys how to rig CVRT onto the platform around 1997 but didn't airdrop it again following lack of interest in the round. Never tried to airdrop with blokes in it. That is pure military urban myth!