Parachuting a tank with the crew inside?

Rumour was they tried it with a BMD..... pureed the crew.

Probably could with decent 'chutes and rocket landing - but can and should is a different matter. I seem to recall mention of the Soviets or Chinese trying the concept in the '70s with all going well until the 'chutes failed and it got a bit messy due to 'negative delta v' in the final 6 inches of the decent.

Fully bombed up and fully fuelled? What's not to like.

Thing is, why would you do so? Unless you also have the clout to drop a fully formed 'B' Ech with it, it becomes a very expensive pill box after a couple of days.

Well, they've been trying it for a while...

'The A-40 was piloted by the famous Soviet experimental glider pilot Sergei Anokhin. The T-60 landed in a field near the airport, and after dropping the glider wings and tail, the driver returned it to its base.'

Antonov A-40 - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
At 6.50 it says that the Sprut can be airdropped "with the entire crew aboard".

Is this correct?

It's much worse, the fully stabilised 200mm gun is capable of firing on the way down.

Pfft - easy. The A Team managed it.

At 6.50 it says that the Sprut can be airdropped "with the entire crew aboard".

Is this correct?
And what's more, each tank is full of 7 feet tall Soviet, errm, Russian Supermen. So we should all be very afraid. Uncle Vlad says so. Oh, and none of them bat for the other side, 'cos there's none of that in the Rodina. Nosireebob.

In other news, the burning question of the hour is, "Why isn't Maalox on rops?"

It's much worse, the fully stabilised 200mm gun is capable of firing on the way down.
That belongs in the same category as the brilliant German idea of equipping the paras with a full auto rifle, FG42, that was intended to be fired while the para was dangling under the canopy, by a single suspension line. Apparently the trials were abandoned at an early stage. The word torque comes to mind.

Actually the Russians are quite small people, max height to drive a T-62 was 5 ft 6... they just look tall because of the cows in the backround.

I've left the ground in a Cent a couple of times.

I've left the ground in a Cent a couple of times.
Yep, and I was in the back of a Bedford MK with 29 other guys who had a driver that could claim the same.

I did a tour with the 82nd at Ft Bragg and we laapsed M551 Sheridan’s Out the back of C130s, in the 1981, thank God without the crew. They were rubbish vehicles and normally broke after the event.