Parachutes

I could have googled this but thought I might get some craic along with information.

When I was jumping in late 60's early 70's we used chutes not dissimilar, in shape at least, to the WW2 chutes in the movies. I have a GQ lapel badge given to us with our wings so assume that the chutes were made by them. Many years later, mid 90's, a suit by then, I jumped from RAF Sek Kong and I don't recall the chute being wildly dissimilar to the earlier chutes.

Watched the video clip of the commemorative jump at Arnhem today and was struck by how 'radical', for military use, the chutes looked. The clip was very short, said that paras from several nations had jumped and didn't identify the paras in the clip, so wondered if the clip had just caught those from one nation using a certain chute.

Any info/craic on the evolution of the modern military (non SF) parachute, particularly UK, much appreciated.

Changed to LLP low level chute, in about 94 / 95, much bigger and heavier , the old one was 800 ft, can't remember the LLP, 250 ? No reserve.

Jump height of an LLP is now 600' with reserve (LLRP) attached.

The LLP was trialled in France at 250'.

The PXs were made by Irvin and were replaced in '93 by the GQ rigs. Out of all the different types of chutes I've packed, the PX was the bastardyest*. I would have hated being at Hullavington after a major drop repacking 200+ PXs. I'd have had no fingers left.

*Is that a real word? It is now.

The PXs were made by Irvin and were replaced in '93 by the GQ rigs. Out of all the different types of chutes I've packed, the PX was the bastardyest*. I would have hated being at Hullavington after a major drop repacking 200+ PXs. I'd have had no fingers left.

That would be all the bits of barbed wire, broken branches etc depending how good the Nav was.

That would be all the bits of barbed wire, broken branches etc depending how good the Nav was.

Don't forget the ones that had been wrapped around Lanny axles.

Hang on !
I distinctly remember being told that every parachute was packed by women packers. Something to do with their nurturing, caring qualities. Also that they placed a kiss on the apex just prior to closing it up.
On that knowledge I bravely hurled myself out of C130's during the 70's and 80's.
Are you telling me the bastard RAF PJI lied ?

Depends on what you're used to I guess. I did 650 once on a Bravo (no equipment).

"1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000. Check canopy. And roll."

Never ever again. I'd rather go base jumping.

If it was like that for you, what was it like for the fat b@stards you were jumping with? Did you have to dig them out of the dirt?

If it was like that for you, what was it like for the fat b@stards you were jumping with? Did you have to dig them out of the dirt?

The fatties were all put on charlies, so there was some sort of level playing field. Though one guy was put off parachuting for life and sold his kit that same day. Shame it wasn't a bravo or I could have had a second one for next to nothing.

Sunray-Minor

Clanker
Nice to read the posts re Military Parachuting. I am long retired from the system now at 78. Had a chequered career
of 38 yrs 8 months. Of which 18 yrs 8 months were in Airborne Forces. Managed to get 218 descents in, and qualified for my US Wings (with 509th Parachute Infantry Regt US Army )who were stationed in NE Italy then, and Bundeswehr Wings (at Luftlandlufttransport Schule Altenstadt, Schongau). UK descents were with "X" Type and "PX", whilst the Bundeswehr and US descents were with variations of the T10. DZ's varied from the usual UK DZs, including Scotland (Mull of Kyntyre), Isle of Man, and unusually 9 onto Wormwood Scrubs (great view of the prison from 800 ft !), to Cyprus, Greece, Libya, Oman, West Germany. Aircraft varied from Hastings, Argosy, Beverley (Boom and Door),Andover, C-130, Royal Navy Wessex Helicopters, , Bundeswehr C160, Bundeswehr H34 , and US UHID Helicopters

Last edited:
Aircraft varied from Hastings, Argosy, Beverley (Boom and Door), C-130, Royal Navy Wessex Helicopters, , Bundeswehr C160, Bundeswehr H34 , and US UHID Helicopters

With that career and the period, I'm surprised that you didn't get a descent from an Andover. As with the Argosy, this was one of the most comfortable jump planes ever designed.

Latest Threads