Parachute troops leap into new virtual world

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cant afford planes then?
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Get your 'Virtual Wings' here!!
  4. Can't afford troops either it seems. Had to borrow a Kenyan for the photoshoot.
  5. When did they last do a "Virtual Jump"? ;-)
  6. With Virtual jump pay :)
  7. Coming soon, virtual P Coy and naked bar fighting..................Only on PS3

If you loved call of duty, you'll love this

"I got badged up and did my first tour all before school started" Tommy,6 from Lincoln
  8. Speaking as someone who won't be pursuaded to leave a perfectly airworthy aircraft until it actually lands on the ground, I can see some value in this as a training aid. It obviously won't negate the need for the real thing but it might help prevent accidents. How many people are injured or worse each year in parachute related accidents?
  9. Less than those who are stupid enough to stay on board and rely on some retired crab air pilot to land it

10. Wow, an anti RAF comment, usually get these a lot earlier on the thread.
  11. It's been a slow day
  12. DES20110310024.jpg
    Oh yeh, I can almost taste the slipstream! :roll:
    Bunch of arse.
  13. What was wrong with the Fans we used to use? Do you still get the jolt when you hit the ground or is that virtual as well?
    Methinks some people are in for a shock when they do their first non virtual actual real drop!
  14. I was sceptical, but thinking about it a lot of parachuting is endlessly practising your drills. "Dirt diving" (practising on mockups/the ground) is massively boring and unrealistic, while actual jumps are seriously expensive, both in money and time. Being able to jump into a harness, see something other than a ratty hangar and practice various drills without the huge faff and expense of an actual plane is a nice option to have.

It's like when you want to learn to drive, you go out and put in the time to learn the muscle memory of how to operate a car first, before you splash the money on time with an instructor...

Of course, no doubt the MOD paid far too much for it/comical graphics belong in the 1990's/it breaks all the time/etc...
  15. Into virtual Suez? :)