Parachute Regt Pathfinder Platoon

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Morty, Oct 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what these guys do please? Jusr read about them in the paper and I hadn't heard of them before. Do they have their own selection process? Cheers.
  2. Cheers, Jack!

(Not the first time I've said that, either!)
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Just a note:

The U. S. Army, although it still runs a "Pathfinder' school, has turned the job of the pathfinder, over to the U. S. Air Force.

I'll broaden this a little:

The Army pathfinders are now days more concerned with LZs then DZs, considering the more frequent (Air Assualt) air mobile operations and the 101st Airmobile divisions and other units helicopter operations.

The Path Finder badge is still awarded to Army people who attend the school and graduate at Ft. Benning, GA.

The Air Force, who class their pathfinders as a Special Operations unit, so far have (IMHO) done well in many of the currant combat airborne operations. As well as normal training jumps with control of the DZ.
  4. First off mate, you have to be serving to volunteer, theres no direct entery scheme

Secondly, the joining instructions are deceptive on levels of fitness, on the outside it looks fairly easy, but read beteen the lines and its a bit of a horror story. I remember reading a line buried in the training phase that said they went on ex for a week and in that time they would cover approx 160 miles in kit, that s like a marathon a day (yeah i know its not running but still hard work)

They also run (or at least ran) a pre-selection before the course itself which was a pass/fail

please note this info is well over 15 years old and is probably outdated by now.
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  5. can you imagine the MoD giving the Pathfinder role to the RAF Reg?
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Only if they wanted all DZs to be within an airfield perimeter.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Direct knowledge that in two of the Para Bns in early 70s, they were Mafia for the CO and ran something like a para-MI6. Worked extremely well. Far more reliable than a mortar pln!
  8. who? Rockapes, TA or defence platoon
  9. Benn having a lazy day and just watched the 1996 docuentary on the Pathfinders, when 5AB still existed..remember it vaguely when it aired on the BBC. Seems like a different army back then in the pre Afghan era. Still hard to believe that even in 96, in the MOD'S eyes they did not exist officially.
    What surprised me though was when one of the blokes is tabbing in the hulu and mentions something along the lines of 'all this for 35 pounds a day'... That seems a bit low for the mid 90s, bearing in mind they would be on para pay (possibly SF pay too?)..good watch though. Michael Portillo looks alot younger too!
  10. That was the weight of Bergan, Nasty, weight carrying for the purpose of...

Like other posters here, not sure what it is now but (sound of lamp swinging) in 5AB days, the title of the thread would have been misleading. A friend (cough, cough) went for the Platoon Commander slot (only open to parachute qualified) along with six others and was well beaten by a guy from the Blues and Royals. He was head and shoulders above the rest.
  11. It is not strictly speaking the Parachute Regt Pathfinder Platoon.

It is The Pathfinder Platoon, a Brigade asset. As such it is open to all members of the Brigade.

It is derived from the Parachute Regiment Independant Pathfinder Companies of WWII.
  12. 'Never officially existed'.......and as I understand it had to beg, borrow and steal kit and equipment from other units within the Brigade.

Damned fine bunch of guys, official or otherwise.
  13. It's now open to all members of the Army.