Parachute Regiment - Whitley Bomber Song?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MQ1Mate, Dec 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I have an (aging) family friend whose father was in the Parachute Regiment , and who I understand took part in Op Market Garden. Unfortunately the old soldier passed away some years ago but his son is trying to put together some of the memories of his dad. One of the things he is trying to get to the bottom of is a song relating to the para drops using the Whitley, which involved dropping through a hatch in the floor of the rear fuselage of the aircraft.

We think the song is called 'down the hole' or 'through the hole'. Can anyone help with a link, or point us to a recording of the song?

Many thanks

MQ1Mate

2. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

3. I've got some piccies of the Whitley drop my grandfather did, I'll scan them in at weekend and send them over, I'll also look through his diary to see if there is any mention of the song

4. Thanks - this would be really something for my Unc.

MQ1Mate

5. Do you have any idea which Unit he served with?

Mods, any chance this can be moved into Militaria?

6. Hello mate, this might be what you're looking for!

Quoted from:
    http://forums.wildbillguarnere.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1146.html

It's also on this site: http://www.warlinks.com/memories/booth/end.html
    It may be worth emailing to find out the tune if you cant find it otherwise.

And it's called.................'Jumping through the hole'!

7. Givemephys

Thanks mate - that sounds a lot like the one. Now all I have to do is find the tune!

Cheers

MQ1Mate

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

MQ,

Just been reading the song and it scans to the tune from

"Glory Glory what a hell of a way to die etc."

Which would also fit with the period, but obviously this is a guess.

Good luck!

9. Gremlin you are correct. The other song at the bottom is to the tune of 'The Red River Valley'

10. The refrain doesn't scan though...

11. Hmmm. I think you're right. I did find a reference that suggested the song was sung to the tune of 'Knees Up Mother Brown'. Right era but is it something the paras would have sung?

Cheers all

MQ1Mate

12. Should have added to my earlier post, the style of exit described in the song can be viewed in the movie 'Operation Crossbow' George Peppard and co, partly filmed at No1 PTS Abingdon circa 1969(?)