Parachute Regiment (V) Operational drops.

Has it ever happened since the formation of TA Parachute Regiment Battalions? Suez perhaps?

I'm thinking that there were no TA Parachute Regiment Bns in WWII, at least it would seem unlikely.

Anybody know?

As they were formed during the war they did not have any TA battalion, but there may well have been quite a large amount of TA soldiers who volenteered for Para training

No it hasn't happened. Since WWII only 3 PARA have conducted an operational drop and that was 1956. I now await the bellends telling me how parachuting should be binned and how poo we really are.

They may not have been TA at the time but 10 (county of London )PARA dropped at Arnhem won a VC and were reduced to about section strength due to casualties.
10 PARA became TAVR after the War I believe.

EX_STAB said:
Has it ever happened since the formation of TA Parachute Regiment Battalions? Suez perhaps?

I'm thinking that there were no TA Parachute Regiment Bns in WWII, at least it would seem unlikely.

Anybody know?
My impression was that 1947 was the first formation of TA Battalions; prior to that Parachute Battalions were formed in war.

I have seen no indication that any TA had any involvement in the Suez drops, so my guess would be a no to your question.

Technically speaking doesn't the new CO of 2 para dropping into the Falklands count as a combat jump? Genuinely interested...

All paras are volunteers as no one is forced to join as in the origiinals were all volunteers - does that make sense?

Fallschirmjager said:
No it hasn't happened. Since WWII only 3 PARA have conducted an operational drop and that was 1956. I now await the bellends telling me how parachuting should be binned and how poo we really are.
No, we need to keep the capability in case we ever decide to invade Crete...

Fallschirmjager said:
History being as it is, it would only take a final decision by some
government to chop the role for yet another "unforeseen" situation to arise upon which someone could take credit for a new brilliant idea, find space at Manchester Airport and reinvent the wheel!

tom_dkg said:
Fallschirmjager said:
History being as it is, it would only take a final decision by some
government to chop the role for yet another "unforeseen" situation to arise upon which someone could take credit for a new brilliant idea, find space at Manchester Airport and reinvent the wheel!
Quite. you can guarantee that the only time we'll need the capability is a fortnight after we've disbanded the last PARA battalion :soldier:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fallschirmjager said:
OK. All parachuting should be binned as it wont be used and all PARA are poo.

That make you feel better? In all seriousness Tom_dkb & angular have hit it on the head.

Is it not about time that the COs formed a completely new site where all bone questions about parachuting can be dropped thuis leaving Arrse free for normal abuse? This constant questioning of whether para is or is not needed is becoming a complete pain in the arrse.

How about sending this thread, and any succeeding ones to the Hole.

R.D.D. said:
Technically speaking doesn't the new CO of 2 para dropping into the Falklands count as a combat jump? Genuinely interested...
Interesting one. IIRC, he jumped into rough seas some distance from the islands - presumably a frightening, dangerous and uncomfortable thing to do - and was then picked up by a warship. Not sure to what extent this really qualifies as "combat"? Though presumably there was potentially an enemy theat in the area.

Technical military definition of a "combat jump" anybody?

Hobo-Ken said:
R.D.D. said:
Interesting one. IIRC, he jumped into rough seas some distance from the islands - presumably a frightening, dangerous and uncomfortable thing to do - and was then picked up by a warship. Not sure to what extent this really qualifies as "combat"? Though presumably there was potentially an enemy theat in the area.

A tactical bound away from the enemy :lol:

Auld-Yin said:
OK. All parachuting should be binned as it wont be used and all PARA are poo. That make you feel better?

In a way yes, as it makes you look a bit of a tit. You of all people are fully aware of what Para threads end up being.

Is it not about time that the COs formed a completely new site where all bone questions about parachuting can be dropped thuis leaving Arrse free for normal abuse? This constant questioning of whether para is or is not needed is becoming a complete pain in the arrse.

Let's get this right. A Para thread probably pops up on average about once every week or so so it's hardly ruining ARRSE. Nobody makes you look at the thread itself or post on it for that matter but you usually do. If it p1sses you off that much why post of them?

How about sending this thread, and any succeeding ones to the Hole.

Why? The original question and others following were not bone questions. Does it hurt your feelings because nobody asks about Scottish regiments? Stop being a knob.

Hobo-Ken said:
A Parachute descent by a body of men with the view of affecting the capabilities of enemy forces by destruction whole or partially, espionage, intelligence gathering or entrapment.