Parachute Regiment 'used skull as an ashtray' in NI.

According to the book he did Recce (Saffer SF) selection, passed and served with them for a few years.

Mr McAleese had a more illustrious career in Rhodesia and subsequently S.A. He is well known and his book is an accurate accounting of his military and 'contract' career.
Yes, that's right. Recce Commando. I knew it was a similar unit.

I can confirm that the skull was indeed used as an ashtray, as well as the Band of the Coldstream Guards later recovering his ribcage and using it as a novelty glockenspiel. Coroner O’Magoo only really started to become suspicious when he found out a Para’s wedding had been abruptly stopped just as he was saying “with this bloke’s ring I thee…”.

You can read more about what really went on in my meticulously researched book:

View attachment 392617

All true.
Are you Ricky D. Philips operating under a nom de plume?

I was in 3PARA at the time of the Angola debacle. We had a few guys take a short holiday to go over there - tales of mucho money to be made, yeah right. Rumour had it that when the HQ company arms storeman - a Tom - got out there he was made a company commander!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Having checked that this is the Int Cell, I have a serious question, if you would please indulge me.

Regarding the "hilarious" comments about heads being cut off and people not noticing - I don't think that was ever suggested. So far as I can gather from reports, the bodies of the deceased were taken to the barracks before being attended by the coroner. If some were in a pretty bad state, it's possible that something inappropriate occurred - but it's being claimed that the identity of the body in question was made known to the public.

How could this be? Surely the identities would not have been known to any personnel in the barracks at that time? If the identity was revealed by the coroner, why would this information be made known to Gow/McCallion.

If it was a made up fantasy on the part of Gow, what would he gain from that?

If the regrettable incident DID occur, why was he motivated to reveal it many years after the fact?

Apart from being a nosy old bitch with too much time on my hands, I'd genuinely like answers as I have a friend from NI who is putting this stuff about as if it's all indisputable fact.

Lots of snipping:
How could this be?
If it was a made up fantasy on the part of Gow, what would he gain from that?

If the regrettable incident DID occur, why was he motivated to reveal it many years after the fact?
I was told a whole shedful of bollokcs stories when I joined 2 PARA after depot. It seems to me that he's just saying 'its a story I heard'. There's other books which have similar: slotting Argentinian prisoners, collecting ears in the FI, US mercs in the FIs, some of the stuff in 'Contact'etc.

Seems to me to be on the level of ' a bloke in the pub told me'.

Ah, now I see, the mucker comment. Verstehen.
Honestly... no. I met Peter in the very early '70's and was aware of his then altercation with the law, possibly the legend you thought you heard. He has a coterie of four individuals that I 'm aware of in particular , who would go to every effort to ensure his well being.

I'm not overthinking this.

He's one of the more exceptionally spiritual people I've met in my life including the other four ( that I'm priveliged to know ) who still influence my day to day activities. More spiritual than any priest I've ever met. A better handle on any understanding between the temporal and spiritual than ever was expressed to me in my days this far.

An inordinately straight person in matters of military action and responsibility. He was a Grade A Brecon ( Para Battle School days) graduate.

We communicate, and I look forward to his texts.

Probably one and the same. I heard the story at training school and saw the cup in the museum years later. I was definitely told it was the Bedford Arms, Balham, and research shows it was a temporary coroners court when required but the only famous case I could find was the 1876 poisoning of a barrister who lived close by (Balham was a rural area back then).
Long way for witnesses to go, Clerkenwell to Balham, unless they expected trouble and witness interference.
Did you hear of a different venue for the inquest?
Found this link On This Day: The Coldbath Fields Riots, 13th May 1833 which claims the inquest was held in the Calthorpe Arms which I assume was in Calthorpe Street which in my day would have been right on the borders of EO/ND. I was told about it as a young probationer at ND by one of the R/T drivers on my relief who was a bit of a local history buff

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I was told a whole shedful of bollokcs stories when I joined 2 PARA after depot. It seems to me that he's just saying 'its a story I heard'. There's other books which have similar: slotting Argentinian prisoners, collecting ears in the FI, US mercs in the FIs, some of the stuff in 'Contact'etc.

Seems to me to be on the level of ' a bloke in the pub told me'.
Thank you.

Exactly what I suspected - myths repeated as if they were first hand knowledge.

Found this link On This Day: The Coldbath Fields Riots, 13th May 1833 which claims the inquest was held in the Calthorpe Arms which I assume was in Calthorpe Street which in my day would have been right on the borders of EO/ND. I was told about it as a young probationer at ND by one of the R/T drivers on my relief who was a bit of a local history buff
That makes a lot more sense, plus, I have been known to get wires crossed before now.