Parachute Regiment 'used skull as an ashtray' in NI.

The inquest into the first copper to be killed in London during a riot, very soon after the Met Police were created, was held in the function room above the public bar of The Bedford pub, in Bedford Hill, Balham, SW16. The coroner directed the jury to bring in a decision that the officer was justifiably killed. A skull, said to be that of the murdered lawfully killed policeman, was turned into a 'Lovers Cup' and was presented to the foreman of the jury as a token of the public's gratitude.
The skull cup , known as the Juror's Cup, is now in the police Black Museum.
Don't want to start an argument but I was taught that the first PC killed in a riot was PC Robert Culley in Coldbath Fields in 1833 and a verdict of justifiable homicide was returned by the jury. Clearly an issue of north of the river v south of the river

Don't want to start an argument but I was taught that the first PC killed in a riot was PC Robert Culley in Coldbath Fields in 1833 and a verdict of justifiable homicide was returned by the jury. Clearly an issue of north of the river v south of the river
Probably one and the same. I heard the story at training school and saw the cup in the museum years later. I was definitely told it was the Bedford Arms, Balham, and research shows it was a temporary coroners court when required but the only famous case I could find was the 1876 poisoning of a barrister who lived close by (Balham was a rural area back then).
Long way for witnesses to go, Clerkenwell to Balham, unless they expected trouble and witness interference.
Did you hear of a different venue for the inquest?

It's all true got told it in the Firkin & Trooper in Union Street, Hereford the other night.
2 Toes, 4 Fingers, Pete the Pedo, Beret Barry, Kebab Kenny and The Man said it was all kosher and true.
Seems all new troopers drink from the skull of a dead IRA bod & Rupert's from the rancid foot of McBodd.
They swapped bodies so they could pee in to it nightly on return from the boozer.

It's all in Kebab Kenny's Book: HALO Jumping into The Hereford Halal Shop price £19.99 @ aldi

And the Sunday Sport turned me down as a features writer!:wave:

Balgrayhill here. Used to work at the ten pin bowling on Saracen Street on its corner with Hawthorn Street, long gone now.

Last edited:
That's right. He was in their Pathfinders or a similar unit. A fellow Weegie, Peter McAleese had a similar career path.
According to the book he did Recce (Saffer SF) selection, passed and served with them for a few years.

Mr McAleese had a more illustrious career in Rhodesia and subsequently S.A. He is well known and his book is an accurate accounting of his military and 'contract' career.

Yup, Pete managed to swerve getting too involved with that lot and set sail for Rhodie before things got ugly IIRC.

There was certainly a Peter McAleese involved in the whole Callan Maquela shambles - is this not the same one?

Wasn't one of the men executed in the first group his cousin