Parachute regiment officer reserve

Sorry if this has been discussed. I’ve seen lots of other useful threads on here with some great information but none specifically discussing my question.

I’m a 32yo who is considering joining the army reserves

My ideal would be to join the parachute regiment or at least join a unit that had airborne capabilities.

- Am I correct to presume that whilst technically within the age bracket for officer training that the preference will go to younger officers?

- What other regiments or units would you consider as a reserve officer who was keen to join an airborne unit?

I’m a civil servant, who has worked in website design but with no formal engineering qualifications. I have a PhD in a separate research subject all together.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
Prepare for a barrage of replies - many of which may be less than positive. However, the obvious question your post raises is "have you spoken to 4 Para or any of the other units you have been considering?" If the answer is "No" then you may not be Rupert material.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I’ve seen lots of other useful threads on here with some great information but none specifically discussing my question.

I’m a 32yo who is considering joining the army reserves

My ideal would be to join the parachute regiment or at least join a unit that had airborne capabilities.

- Am I correct to presume that whilst technically within the age bracket for officer training that the preference will go to younger officers?

- What other regiments or units would you consider as a reserve officer who was keen to join an airborne unit?

I’m a civil servant, who has worked in website design but with no formal engineering qualifications. I have a PhD in a separate research subject all together.
If you want to join 4 Para I am pretty sure you would have to join as a Tom, pass basic training, P Company and complete a reserve basic Para course. After a few years proving yourself in a rifle company you could apply for a reserve commission but there will be a lot of competition and its all about proving your leadership ability and officer potential to the hierachy. There is a seperate thread on the site about joining 4 Para.

The only other Airborne reserve unit that I am aware of is 144 Para Field Ambulance but you would only be able to join that as an officer from scratch if you were a qualified Doctor or other medical professional.

If you want to join 4 Para I am pretty sure you would have to join as a Tom, pass basic training, P Company and complete a reserve basic Para course. After a few years proving yourself in a rifle company you could apply for a reserve commission but there will be a lot of competition and its all about proving your leadership ability and officer potential to the hierachy. There is a seperate thread on the site about joining 4 Para.

The only other Airborne reserve unit that I am aware of is 144 Para Field Ambulance but you would only be able to join that as an officer from scratch if you were a qualified Doctor or other medical professional.
Royal Engineers at Wakefield. 199 (?) squadron.

The only other Airborne reserve unit that I am aware of is 144 Para Field Ambulance 144 Para Med Squadron but you would only be able to join that as an officer from scratch if you were a qualified Doctor or other medical professional.

Not necessarily true now. The Squadron has a few non Med MSO's now.

Chef

LE
131 Sqn RE is AACC trained and also do para training if that's any use.

As @auggie rock says, get in touch with your chosen unit and ask.

ShortLock

Clanker

Not true at all. I know several 4 Para subbies, all of whom commissioned directly into 4 Para. All of them were early 20s.

299 Parachute Squadron, RE, is another option. Realistically though, unless you're incredibly committed, any option based further than an hour's drive from you is not going to be a good option.

Chef

LE
131 used to offer para training, many many moons ago, but not any more.
It was many, many moons ago that a mate of mine, ex 29, joined them. He did his para course but that was pre second Gulf.

Defence cuts I expect.

Latest Threads