Parachute Course-Balloon

Last letter of his surname 'f'. Just seen a video of the accident. Holy crap.

Here are the staff from my BPC - you may have known some of them. My instructor was the one second from the right (our right) - good bloke. For some reason the OC with the gay French jump boots was not in the photo:

View attachment 474772
I've been wracking my brain to recall the gent in the wooly-pulley, centre frame, initially remembering only his first name.

It's the late Brian Davies RIP. Very talented sportsman and a former semi- pro soccer player before joining as a PTI and subsequently PTS. He played Combined Services football in the 70's. Top man.

In our day we had to blow the balloon up first.

That took a week and at least half a dozen of the platoon collapsed their lungs , which they had to pay for as there was no exchanges on lungs.

In our day we had to blow the balloon up first.

That took a week and at least half a dozen of the platoon collapsed their lungs , which they had to pay for as there was no exchanges on lungs.
No lack of hot air though so why'd it take so long?

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
The saddest/funniest book I've read relating to parachuting is ' Freefall' by Tom Read aka 'Nish' Bruce; I highly recommend it for those who haven't read it. The guy was/is a legend.

Operational balloon jump:

A good story, too; "After resigning his commission in 1920, Lt Burbury went to King's College, Cambridge and gained a degree in modern languages - eventually becoming fluent in 24 of them. On one occasion, he appeared before the court after being caught by a policeman romping with a woman in a car in Belgravia. ...he had a traditionally idealistic attitude towards sex and women. 'A Don Juan with a mission - to bring love and physical satisfaction into the lives of as many women as possible who might otherwise be deprived.' "

Good man.

The saddest/funniest book I've read relating to parachuting is ' Freefall' by Tom Read aka 'Nish' Bruce; I highly recommend it for those who haven't read it. The guy was/is a legend.
Wasn't a close friend but knew him well, jumped and partied with him often, over many years.
Yes, a very special bloke - one of those people who burn brightly and die out quickly.

Operational balloon jump:

A good story, too; "After resigning his commission in 1920, Lt Burbury went to King's College, Cambridge and gained a degree in modern languages - eventually becoming fluent in 24 of them. On one occasion, he appeared before the court after being caught by a policeman romping with a woman in a car in Belgravia. ...he had a traditionally idealistic attitude towards sex and women. 'A Don Juan with a mission - to bring love and physical satisfaction into the lives of as many women as possible who might otherwise be deprived.' "

Good man.
Following his death in Germany in 1959, his funeral was held and Sieveking quipped: 'The church was full of women of all ages, dating back to his youth and coming right up to the newest loves of his last year. 'I was the only man.'

That reminds me of the funeral of someone I knew. Some of the deceased's lady friends had to be kept apart.

Last letter of his surname 'f'. Just seen a video of the accident. Holy crap.

Here are the staff from my BPC - you may have known some of them. My instructor was the one second from the right (our right) - good bloke. For some reason the OC with the gay French jump boots was not in the photo:

View attachment 474772
Is that you off to his immediate left shoulder looking all hard and ally?

Oyibo

LE
Is that you off to his immediate left shoulder looking all hard and ally?
I don't even know who it was - we had quite a few back sqaud'ed to our Pl for Brize.

Latest Threads