Parachute Bn Cap Badges, WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by maninblack, Aug 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Does anybody know whether all parachute roled infantry battalions switched to the Parachute Regiment badge on changing over or did some retain their parent regiment capbadge?

Typically I am thinking about units such as 10th Bn Somerset Light Infantry, did they keep their bugle, did the Green Howards Parachute Battalion retain their capbadge?
  2. The units you mention would have rebadged to Para cap badges upon successful re-rolment. The earlier Para formations, like 1,2 and 3rd Bn spent their early days in mixed headdress followed by parent unit cap badges before the maroon lid and reg cap badge came along..The success rate for volunteers varied from unit to unit but Volunteers from 10th Bn Somerset LI become the core founders of 7th (LI) Parachute Bn. The Green Howard unit made up the bulk for the 12th (Yorkshire) Parachute Bn.

The names in brackets were dropped over time, as no doubt they soon became irrelevant as the original members moved on and manpower was drawn army wide.
  3. No different cap-badges, but they did often wear distinctive shoulder-titles, epaulette-slides or lanyards. The Scottish Bn (I forget the number) even wore maroon tams.
  4. Some did the 6th (RWF) bn still had capbadge & flash.
  5. 5th btn eventually renumbered post war to 2nd, hunting stewart patch lived on with 15 Para. Options for change 15 merged with 4 Para SDR renumbered 15 coy as A coy.
  6. 5th (Scottish) Battalion wore normal TOS (not maroon) for a while, with the AAC and then Para Regt capbadge, but eventually did change to the maroon beret, like the TOS worn with Hunting Stuart badge backing.
  7. 156 Para Bn who were formed in India and met their end at Arnhem wore Para Reg cap badges on their slouch hats. Even after their return to the UK from India they grudgingly gave up their popular slouch hats for maroon lids.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

While we are on the subject, my Great Uncle (one of the only officers to make it to Merville) had a Gucci sterling silver cap badge. At his funeral many comments from the Para Reg Association blokes were made about the Gucciness and rarity of said badge.

Would this have been on general issue to officers or would it have been something he had made?
  9. ..............................Victors (long gone) in Aldershot used to sell them.

There were two types, Kings & Queens crown, Before & after the last Coronation.

Silver Capbadges were not the personal preserve of the Ruperts.

I wore one for well over 20 years & still got it!
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Coolio, cheers for the info. He was one of the originals, transferred from the Devon and Cornwall LI, I believe. He wrote a book about his D day adventures.
  11. There was a batch of sterling silver badges struck by/for 1Bn. RUR. Admittedly an airlanding rather than Para. Bn.
    Despite having access to several veterans and historians I've still not been able to ascertain a definitive answer to the same question as you ask.
  12. I read that each WW2 Para battalions wore a different coloured tab on Denison epaulettes - I had a copy of the battallions/colours list but lost it - anybody got one?

BTW, can anyone confirm that one of the battalions wore blackened webbing?
  13. Yes 4th Parachute Battalion.