Parachute accident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheLordFlasheart, Nov 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News link

Not very nice.

Any ideas if it was sport or mil parachuting?

Condolences to the family.

2. msr

msr LE

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence can confirm that a British soldier has sadly died from injuries sustained in a parachute incident at Weston-on-the-Green."

msr

3. Having been terrified several times at WoG I feel the deepest sympathy with the poor chap, his comrades and his family.

I note the involvement of the health and safety people. I think this is wrong. Civilian agencies have no place in a military incident.
    Perhaps I am still too optimistic after all these years, but I would expect a military enquiry to be the most rigorous investigation possible. I do not trust the motivation of the HSE. The armed forces should be separate. It is wrong to treat them as just another organisation, subject to the foolish fancies of the chattering classes. This is all of a piece with the wretched human rights legislation. The armed forces are special and should have their own rules.

4. Not too trusting of HSE myself, but I think it would be a military enquiry if it had not taken place on a public street and on the airfield, as well as if it was just a leisure activity. Someone will probably put me right on this.

Condolences to family and friends.

5. Vasco, you could be right, but we don't even know if it was sport or military jumping yet do we? If it's sport then the BPA do the investigastion for the HSE. If it's military I believe the military do it. In either case the HSE, being outside their 'window of expertese' just oversee the standard of investigation and sign the paper when it's complete

6. The specific reference to WoG would suggest that it is more likely to be a sport jump than a mil jump. As mentioned above, the HSE will refer it to the appropriate authority for investigation. So wait and see who published the report...

Irrespective of the situation though, my deepest condolences to the family.

Ghost

7. Hmm.. I've seen a lot of H and S (and other) incidents over the years where the MOD has been less than keen to do a thorough investigation in case it stitches itself up. Deepcut springs to mind. In my experience of these two organisations, HSE investigations look at how the problem can be avoided in the future whilst MOD enquiries usually concentrate on how to blame the most junior person possible (or the victim themselves) without disturbing the status quo.

Mull of Kintyre helo crash ring any bells?

8. My thoughts to ones close to this parachutist.

Think you will find there are a few other users than basic mil and civ pop at Weston and that dosnt include the Gliders........
    RIP

9. This is a WAH, right ?

Someone has smacked in, lets hope it is investigated correctly in order to prevent future occurrences.

RIP and condolences to NOK and friends.

10. fooboy, Received, thanks.

Whilst I respect your right to an opinion, I have to disagree entirely. The MOD no longer has Crown immunity, and is responsible for complying with civilian Health & Safety Legislation unless OPERATIONAL exemption applies. Ergo, HSE will be involved. And, IMHO, its a good thing too. It demonstrates the MoD's transparency.

Now, can we leave the speculation until the report is available please?

Ghost

11. The HSE involvement would probably be a good thing, as you yourself might think as you hurtle towards the Green. This is an occasion for collective sadness as one of our own has died.

I was present when another accident happened there; he landed on the hangar, collected his canopy and walked away only to fall another hundred or so feet. He survived, luckily. This guy didn't. RIP.