Para wings question

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mightyjugs, Feb 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the Paras 20 years ago and now I’ve just joined my local TA mob, The Rifles, and am in the early days of basic training weekends. At the last weekend most of the training staff were badgering me to put my wings back on as they all said that even though I got them over 20 years ago it’s something you have for life.

Anyone know if this is true?
  2. If you cast around some of the forums there are some threads on this and they, once earned, are worn in perpetuity (which for muppets like me that can't spell means till you croak more or less).

Don't know the exact wording however.
  3. Shouldn't a gentleman of your advanced years be relaxing at home with a cup of cocoa and a nice pair of comfy slippers at the weekend?
  4. They can be worn in perpetuity.

Get 'em sewn on.
  5. We had a fella in the same regiment who was ex-para. He decided not to sew his wings on because he didn't want special treatment or to stand out from the rest of the recruits - which is fair enough.

I guess it's personal choice - you've every right to wear them if you want to, just depends what sort of attention you want. Some of the more idiotic recruits might think you're big-timing it, but then again they haven't done P Coy so they can jog on (I haven't done P Coy, but if someone's earned them then top job to 'em).
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We had a few old and bold in the regs in my day doing the second stint who wore there wings, those earned previously tended to be worn in the issued colour, the very few that earned them whilst attached wore maize and green ones on return to Bn.
  7. Para wings are not just a badge they are an award just like campaign medals are awards. Once earned they can only be forfeited if you refuse to carry out a parachute descent when ordered to do so.
  8. Now now, no need to patronise, we still could maybe teach you a thing or two.

9. Now Im not sure, but once you have earned them I dont think they can be forfeited, however if you refuse to jump you may well lose your Para pay :roll: However I think you may well be court martial as well :roll:
  10. Cheers for all the replies, I'll check through the forums, but I reckon it's out with the sewing kit!
  11. I can see where you are coming from, but I think you should wear them. Should I join the cadets I will wear mine too, just to pisz you off! :D
  12. Me being a nosey cnut.........were you Parachute Regiment or attached unit?
  13. onI was in 10 Para, based in Aldershot fpr 3 years, then in the regs as a Officer cadet and blew it at RAEC Beaconsfield (failed English) prior to going to Sandhurst.

14. Where in Aldershot were you?
  15. onNot in Browning barracks, but with support company up a hill in a sort of old school, it's been over 20 years so I can't remember the road. A sad fact of life when you get old!