Para who saved kids deserves tribute too

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Sep 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

From the Sunday Life-

It's been 35 years since the death of Sergeant Michael Willets.

I doubt that the name means much to many Sunday Life readers and it would have meant little to me, but for a chance encounter on New Year's Eve 2000......

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=706595

For once a journo who's making sense.
    RIP Sergeant Willets.
    Spike

2. ...and well written piece too. Tx Spike for this reminder.

3. RIP Sarge...

4. Sir Ronnie Flanagan was serving there at the time as a young Constable and he often mentioned this sad incident in speeches etc.

RIP Sarge, and you have not been forgotten by the RUC.

5. What a man.

RIP, Sarge.

6. I remember the incident at the time.
    RIP Old Soldier.
    john
    A very brave Man.

7. That is a story to truly make me feel humble. Rest easy sarnt Willets, you've done yours.

8. This inspired me at the time and was a contributing factor my decision to enlist. Fortunatly Springfield road (etc) had bombproof glass fitted by the time I got there...

9. I hadn't heard of this before - thank you for the link.

RIP

10. I read a book called Phoenix. The person who the book is about Ian Phoenix.
    It mentions about a brief case in Springfield road and he seen the Para jump in front of the kids.

11. I heard that song a few weeks ago - heartwrenching to say the least; I didn't realise it was about this guy. A hero.

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

13. Just listened to the song for the first time....

RIP

14. I remember when this happened, My dad had just recently come back from Londonderry with 2 Queens, I remember the song which I believe (although I may be wrong) was sung by a pro-IRA band and was kind of taboo, (at the age of six the lyrics did leave a big impression, but not as much as my Dad's explanation of what Mick willets did that day), my dad borrowed the record from somebody on the patch at Werl.

I also remember being at cub scouts and having the flag lowered to half mast, but this occured a couple of times whilst we were at Werl so Mick willets may not have necessarily been one of those occasions.

I also had a troop Sgt in the RE's who had served with 3 para at the time although he wasnt in Sgt willets Company.

I have never forgotten the story of Sgt M Willets GC, and there has not been enough done to honour him so that the people of this country dont forget the selflessness of some of our troops over the years

This man was a hero of the highest order.