Para training and housing.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by JackM, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

The title probably tells you all you need to know about my intentions of what I want to do. But I have a couple of questions that I need answered, and this seems a great place to do it.

First off, my fitness. I'm of pretty much average cardio fitness at the moment. I run the required 1.5 miler in about 10:30 to 11:30 currently.
    Is it appropriate to start my application to the Army now? As I hear that there is a 3-6months wait until training actually starts (giving me time to improve) or should I wait until I'm running at sub-nine minutes and then begin the paperwork?
    My upper body fitness is, in my opinion, in good order. 60 press-ups in a minute, 20+ pull-ups etc.

Secondly, once I join the Army, what kind of accomodation is available? I'm currently in a long-term relationship with my girlfriend and we would like to move in together once I'm in. Is there any decent accomodation for non-married couples?

Any help with these would be great.
  2. non-married NO!!

and get yaself to 9mins asap. Thrash yaself cause the airborne boys have an outstanding fitness demand put on their shoulders and they earn their name!

Apply now because it takes a while anyway. Best thing to do is do training first then marry ya girl and get yaself to colly. New accommodation there but its either single or married in this mans army i'm afraid..
  3. there isn't even decent accomodation for married people!!
  5. you what???

i dont understand....

non-married don't get jack. Trust!
  6. You don't need a house for parachute training.A parachute is far more usefull!!
  7. If you do not get under 0930 at ADSC you will be screened out for Paras.

You will get single living accommodation through training and at your unit. Accommodation is provided for marrieds and civil partnerships at your unit. If you get married during or before training starts you will not be entitled to army accommodation for your wife until you get to your unit.
  8. Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.
  9. I advise you get running a lot. I was only authorized to go away to Pirbright for the legit Selection tests when my pre-Selection run evaluation reached less than 9 minutes. It was really demanding for me as at the start, I was quite big in the upper body region too, thus meaning my push-ups and pull-ups were good but my run time was terrible (for the Paras). I got 10:18 on my first run and it took me a while to get better, but I committed myself and in the end, I did. My recruiting Sgt actually told me it would take me two and a'half months to get my time down to -9. I decided I'd be stubborn and stick to it and prove him wrong. In the end it took me just under 3 weeks.

I used heavy dieting and lost a LOT of weight. I'm now really skinny but I'm tall and springy which makes me a perfect candidate for endurance running. My upper body isn't anywhere near to what it was, but including my run - I can do 57 push-ups and 68 sit-ups in 2 minutes, which is enough for the pass for Paras.

Basically, my advice is to make the choice now on what exactly it is you want. If you really want this, you need to commit yourself to it immediately. Get out running everyday and only eat what is necessary to repeat the run again the next day. Keep at it and you'll get there.
  10. Thanks.
  11. What kind of diet is best? a high calorie diet or a fat loss diet?
  12. A fat loss diet? I'm not sure what you're asking. Is a 'fat loss diet' a work-out to burn fat or to prevent eating the food that contains it?

And I thought a high-calorie diet would be relevant to the same thing. Or am I just really mixed up? :(

I'm not a qualified nutritionist, nor am I exactly 'well' educated lol. Sorry. :p

Basically, I only ate when I needed to. And I tried to keep it healthy (didn't always). I ate a lot of food, but I made sure I made up for it later on when running. If I ate more than usual in a single day, I'd run more than usual in the next. It was like an unofficial routine I had in my head. Once I got some music into it, I started to find it fun.

Although - I didn't have a girlfriend at the time. So I probably didn't have anything better to do than run in circles of a day.

I'm not saying stick to the exact guideline I have. Just suggesting you make your own with a little influence from someone who's done it. Best of luck though.
  13. I think he meant 'fat lass diet' its a new system of training in prep for P Coy, you have to trap a munter once a week from week 10 and give her the good news for a hour. Burns off a few they tell me.
  14. Riggsy,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that you haven't passed the course!

I got that from another thread on here, somewhere.

If that's correct, your advice wouldn't be much cop, would it?

If your timings for the 1.5 miler are 10.30 to 11.30 mins, I would go away and get some practice in.
    That is the sort of time, I would expect of a Fat person in his 50's, who has his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities.
  15. At no point in this thread did I say I had passed the course. The intention of my advice was to influence JackM to understand the similar commitment it would require him to make towards getting his run-time down to beat 9 minutes, just like I did. And if my advice wasn't much 'cop', I wouldn't have a run-time of 08:57 and I would be one of these sad 'walters' that just sits at their computer all day revising a new way to waste time by appearing to be something I'm not over the net. Go figure.

Although, your advice is obviously better.